Kennard is one of eight IMPACT semifinalists

On Wednesday, senior outside linebacker Devon Kennard was named as one of the nine semifinalists for the Lott IMPACT Trophy award sponsored by The Pacific Club IMPACT Foundation. The award honors a defensive player for his athletic performance as well as his character.

Comeback · Redshirt senior linebacker Devon Kennard has led USC’s strong defense this year after missing last season with a pectoral injury. - Ralf Cheung | Daily Trojan

Comeback · Redshirt senior linebacker Devon Kennard has led USC’s strong defense this year after missing last season with a pectoral injury. – Ralf Cheung | Daily Trojan

As one of the Trojans’ team captains this season, Kennard has enjoyed a remarkable rebound campaign after missing the 2012 season with a torn pectoral muscle. He ranks 20th nationally in sacks (8) in addition to his 47 tackles, 10 tackles for losses, four pass deflections and a fumble recovery.

Kennard also takes care of business in the classroom. He’s maintained a 3.23 GPA while receiving 2010 and 2011 Pac-12 All-Academic second-team honors and is currently studying for a master’s degree in communication management. Last year while rehabbing his injury, Kennard received his bachelor’s degree in communication from USC’s Annenberg School for Communication and Journalism.

Though Kennard is an impressive candidate, he has stiff competition. The other semifinalists include Anthony Barr (linebacker, UCLA), Chris Borland (linebacker, Wisconsin), Aaron Donald (defensive tackle, Pitt), James Morris (linebacker, Iowa), C.J. Mosley (linebacker, Alabama), Ed Reynolds (safety, Stanford), Ryan Shazier (linebacker, Ohio State) and Kyle Van Noy (linebacker, BYU).

The Lott IMPACT Trophy award is named after former USC All-American and NFL All-Pro safety Ronnie Lott. IMPACT is an acronym that stands for Integrity, Maturity, Performance, Academics, Community and Tenacity.

To date, the foundation has donated more than $1 million to charities across the nation. The winner will receive $25,000 and the runner-ups will receive $5,000 for their respective universities’ general scholarship funds. Last year’s recipient was former Notre Dame and current San Diego Chargers linebacker Manti Te’o.

The list of semifinalists will be narrowed down to four finalists on Nov. 27 and the winner will be announced at the 10th annual Lott IMPACT Trophy Banquet on Dec. 8 in Newport Beach, Calif. Pac-12 Commissioner Larry Scott is scheduled as the keynote speaker at the banquet, which will be televised live by Fox Sports at 7 p.m.