Waka Flocka Flame to perform at Shrine

If Waka Flocka Flame tells you that you better “turn your a– up,” you do it — and you don’t ask questions. And that’s exactly what he wants tonight at the Shrine Expo Hall — for everyone to turn it up.

Squad up · Rapper Waka Flocka Flame is enjoying significant success following the release of his debut, Flockaveli. The Georgia-based rapper has also become well known for his wild, energetic live performances. - Photo courtesy of Atlantic Records

Squad up · Rapper Waka Flocka Flame is enjoying significant success following the release of his debut, Flockaveli. The Georgia-based rapper has also become well known for his wild, energetic live performances. – Photo courtesy of Atlantic Records

Flocka will provide support for one of DJ Magazine’s top 10 DJs in the world, none other than Steve Aoki. Basically, it’ll be one giant party. If you’ve scored tickets, be prepared for some possible cake in the face, and some definite “going hard in the paint.” Both will perform in Los Angeles on Friday for a homecoming show that surely won’t disappoint. They will also perform with Australian rap star Iggy Azalea, DJ Alvin Risk and up-and-coming trap trio Keys N Krates.

Friday’s show is just one stop on the Dim Mak founder and international producer/DJ’s “Aokify America” tour, which began on Oct. 30. The tour will span 13 states as well as two provinces of Canada, and will also feature bass DJ Borgore and two appearances from producer Pharrell Williams.

“Aokify America” blends trap, dubstep, hip-hop and EDM in a wild show that spans all definitions of “turn up.” Flocka told the Daily Trojan that he joined the DJ on his tour because he feels that “Steve is like the Waka Flocka of house music and electronic music,” and thus they make a good team.

Aoki was nominated for a 2013 Grammy for Best EDM Album, founded an independent record label and averages about 250 shows per year. His latest tracks include “Boneless,” which has debuted at number 10 dance track on iTunes, “Bring You To Life” with house producer Rune RK and a collaboration with Linkin Park for “A Light That Never Comes.”

Meanwhile, Waka Flocka Flame dropped his latest mixtape, From Roaches to Rolex, a free, 15-track release of bangers that might foreshadow what will come early next year with his new album, Flockaveli 2.

“I wanted to do a hardcore underground hip-hop CD. I wasn’t looking for beats, I wasn’t looking for singles or any old records,” Flocka said. “[The album will] be one of the most anticipated albums, and I doubt any other music sounds like this. Expect high intensity — that feel good music, that party music, that put-you-in-the-zone music, that in-the-gym-working-out music, that 12 o’clock, 12:30, 1 a.m. music. It’s just that feel-good music.”

Though Flocka seems like an unlikely companion for a Steve Aoki tour, the rapper has never been shy of branching out.

“It’s the best tour I’ve ever been on in my life, I love it,” Flocka said. “Steve is like the Waka Flocka of house music and electronic music. I felt like this is something nobody ever did before,” Flocka said. “I hate being a follower; I love leading, so I love doing new things and new events because I want people to follow the path that we create, instead of following a path that another man created.”

Keys N Krates, an upcoming live band from Canada, will also join Aoki on Friday. They describe themselves as a hip-hop and electronic blend, though many just categorize the band as live trap. Dim Mak released their Solow EP in September, and their banger “Treat Me Right” has topped charts. The trio has also performed at huge music festivals such as Lollapalooza and Ultra Music Festival.

Borgore, the final artist in the unsual threesome on tour, also recently released his bass-heavy “Wild Out” EP and will be performing several of his hits. These include “Booty Monsta,” “Wayak” and the lead single, “Wild Out,” which has headlined Beatport and Soundcloud in the past month.

Borgore collaborated with Flocka on the EP and the duo recently answered questions regarding the release on Reddit. Though Borgore will not join the other two artists on Friday, he will return to Los Angeles on New Year’s Eve to perform at the Hollywood Palladium. For now, Flocka can’t wait to perform tonight at the Shrine.

“This is the show-off state, you gotta show off a lot,” Flocka said. “I can’t wait to get there, man.”