Music celebrates holiday spirit

Thanksgiving season is right around the corner. Though it’s easy to get carried away stuffing ourselves with turkey and mashed potatoes, delicious cornbread and apple pies, the heart of the holiday is all about the people we are thankful for — our loved ones.

So whether you’re sharing this Thanksgiving with your family at home, friends at school or your significant other, all kinds of love is in the air. In honor of this, I’ve compiled a playlist celebrating the one thing poets, writers, singers and your everyday guy have tried to tackle throughout time: love.

“Slow Love”     — Michael Alvarado

Curly-haired heartthrob Michael Alvarado found his start on YouTube, producing piano-heavy tunes and awaiting his big break as a one-man band. Since his marriage to fellow YouTube sensation Carissa Rae, Alvarado has been spending his time whipping up collaborative tunes under the moniker “Us.” Alvarado’s expertise in piano, guitar and drums shines through in this cheerful melody. The song opens with Alvarado crooning, “See me I’m nervous / What did it take to deserve this / Beautiful love, it’s perfect / Baby without you I’m worthless,” and transforms into a relaxing number you’ll most likely have on repeat for the rest of your day.

“Heartbeats” — Jose Gonzalez

Swedish indie-folk singer Jose Gonzalez croons this number that’s not as overtly lovey-dovey as the rest of the tracks on this week’s playlist. But take a closer listen to his lullaby-like voice and you’ll recognize the heartfelt tone behind lines like, “One night of magic rush / The start, a simple touch / One night to push and scream / And then relief.”

“Lay Lady Lay” — Magnet

Norwegian singer Even Johansen, who goes by the stage name Magnet, takes on the famous Bob Dylan number trumps every cover known to man. The inclusion of a female voice, Irish musician Gemma Hayes, brings this track to a whole new level. The commanding violin strings carry the voices of Johansen and Hayes.

“You and I” — Ingrid Michaelson

Fans of Sara Bareilles and Regina Spektor need no further description to this track. But for those who have yet to be introduced to singer-songwriter Ingrid Michaelson, here’s a treat to the ears unlike any other. Picked from one of her earliest albums, this ukulele-happy duet is perfect for the holidays: “Oh, let’s get rich and buy our parents homes / In the south of France / Let’s get rich and give everybody nice sweaters / And teach them how to dance.” And though Michaelson’s raspy-voiced producer, Dan Romer, sings the male verses in the original track, Jason Mraz and Michaelson have performed this song regularly on tour.

“Old School Love” — Ed Sheeran and Lupe Fiasco

You can’t complete a love song playlist without 2013’s ultimate romantic: Ed Sheeran. English singer-songwriter Sheeran rose to fame with tender tunes such as “The A-Team” and “Lego House.” After touring with Taylor Swift this past year, his songs have received even more well-deserved attention. This creative collaboration with rapper Lupe Fiasco, famous for hypnotic songs such as “Fighters” and “Daydreamin,’” is making its way up the music charts.

“Falling in Love (With My Best Friend)” — Matt White

New Jersey-born Matt White refined his musical talents at the University of Wisconsin-Madison and eventually harnessed the power of MySpace to spread his singles. Geffen Records noticed his popularity on the social networking site and offered him a record deal; since then, he’s toured with big names such as Sheryl Crow and OneRepublic.

Though White sings of heartbreak in “Falling in Love,” the song’s upbeat rhythm makes it a worthy addition to this week’s playlist — and it’s a gentle reminder that love isn’t always as peachy as it looks in the movies.

Rini Sampath is a sophomore majoring in international relations (global business). “Traveler’s Tracks” runs Mondays.

Follow Rini on Twitter @RiniSampath