Society elects ’SC doctors for pediatric research

Six researchers from The Saban Research Institute of Children’s Hospital Los Angeles and the Keck School of Medicine of USC have been elected into the Society for Pediatric Research.

Good company · Six USC doctors were elected into the Society for Pediatric Research, including Dr. Robinder Khemani, MD (far left). - Photo courtesy of Business Wire

Good company · Six USC doctors were elected into the Society for Pediatric Research, including Dr. Robinder Khemani, MD (far left). – Photo courtesy of Business Wire

To be a member of the society, one must be peer-nominated and then elected.

Election into the society allows researchers to improve their work through conferences and publications in journals.

Some of the elected researchers expressed what this election meant to them and how it is going to affect their research.

“The Society of Pediatric Research is one of the premier elected research societies. It’s an honor to be elected into this society,” said Dr. Vincent Wang, the associate division head for Emergency Medicine at CHLA and a newly elected member into SPR. “It may improve my collaboration with researchers from other institutions. It may also lead to committee involvements nationally and internationally and will hopefully improve my own abilities to do research.”

Toni Frederick, an epidemiologist and research associate professor of Pediatrics at the Keck School of Medicine, moved into full-time research on pediatric HIV in 2004.

“It is gratifying recognition to be voted a member of the Society of Pediatric Research,” Frederick said.  “Membership in the SPR will provide access to the ongoing work of leading researchers and opportunities for active engagement in the field,” Frederick said.

Frederick expanded on the benefits of being part of the society.

“The recognition of the Society of Pediatric Research will provide prestigious professional representation that will help us to more effectively advocate on behalf of our patients and research programs.”

Dr. Douglas Vanderbilt, a developmental-behavioral pediatrician at Children’s Hospital and also an associate professor of clinical pediatrics at the Keck School of Medicine of USC, was excited and honored to be a part of the society.

“It is a tremendous opportunity to be recognized for my important research in optimizing the development of high-risk infants,” Vanderbilt said. “Being a part of this new research community will allow me to see a higher level of excellence in pediatric research.”

Other USC doctors who have been elected include Robinder Khemani, Jamie Wood and Yong-Mi Kim.

Louis LeMesurier, a senior majoring in biological sciences, has volunteered at CHLA and believes that the hospital cares for both its results and its community.

“Its staff is likely to be motivated, competent and caring. These traits can only add to a research society. USC is lucky to have these individuals,”  LeMesurier said.

Virginia Hazarian, a firsty-year graduate student in the gerontology program, thought this news was exciting for both USC and the Children’s Hospital.

“It’s always great hearing about how the Keck School of Medicine contributes to the medical field through its groundbreaking research,” she said. “The fact that six doctors from Children’s Hospital were elected to be in this society is amazing for USC.”