New provost aims to increase student engagement

Monique Sosa Allard, the new assistant provost for Student Engagement in USC’s Student Affairs department, recently made her return to the ranks of the Trojan Family.

Welcome home ·  Assistant Provost Monique Allard returns to USC hoping to get students more involved in campus affairs. - Photo courtesy of Dietmar Quistorf

Welcome home · Assistant Provost Monique Allard returns to USC hoping to get students more involved in campus affairs. – Photo courtesy of Dietmar Quistorf

Allard first joined USC after earning her bachelor’s in social work from California State University, Los Angeles. She then enrolled in the USC Rossier School of Education to earn her master’s and doctorate. Before serving as the associate director of college advising in the Dornsife College of Letters, Arts and Sciences from 1998-2007.

For the past several years, Allard has been working in student affairs on different college campuses. She was the director of student services for the College of Education at California State University Los Angeles, as well as the executive director of Student Support and Equity Programs at California State Polytechnic University, Pomona.

Happily back at USC for the past three months, Allard is enjoying her new position.

“I am very happy to be back at USC,” Allard said. “I feel like I’m coming home.”

Allard’s extensive professional experience in student services has fully equipped her for her role in student affairs, but it is really her passion for helping students that makes her a fit for the position.

“From as far back as I can remember, I always wanted to be in a helping profession,” Allard said. “I really enjoy the opportunity to help students mentally achieve their educational dreams and also to develop and grow and go out and move on to the next stage in their life.”

As assistant provost, Allard works with various areas across campus including campus publications, fraternity and sorority leadership programs, the Trojan Marching Band, campus recreation sports, student government and the Volunteer Center.

“There’s a number of different opportunities for students to be engaged across campus,” Allard said.

As an alumna, Allard said she understands the importance of student engagement at USC. Allard was involved with what is now called Graduate Student Government when she was a student.

According to Allard, her engagement with GSG led her to many important relationships.

“It was a wonderful forum where I met so many of my friends that I still stay in contact with now, several years later,” Allard said. “They really have been my lifetime friends.”

Allard said her experience as a student at USC informed her understanding of the importance of student engagement.

“If you asked any student walking across campus if they thought being engaged was important, I’m certain they would say yes,” she said.

Allard said by getting involved, students have the opportunity to learn important life skills.

“Our students still are looking for opportunities to develop their leadership skills, develop their practical skills, connect with others, build friendships and give back to the community and communities around the world,” she said. “Engagement is really important in helping students develop as a whole person.”

Since her return, Allard has been working on several initiatives regarding student engagement, including implementing the revised student events policy and outdoor events policy, as well as assembling a hazing prevention consortium of representatives from across campus to improve existing hazing prevention efforts.

Though she’s eager to make important changes to enhance the student experience while keeping safety and practicality in mind, Allard said she’s most looking forward to collaborating with students.

“I’m most excited about working with our students, specifically our student leaders,” she said. “I think our student leaders are energetic and full of ideas and inspiration.”

Allard stressed it was very important for her to stay in contact with the student body.

“I consider it my job and the job of Student Affairs to amplify the student voice,” she said.

As a former USC student, Allard holds her role as a Trojan close to her heart.

“I’m proud to be a Trojan and part of the Trojan Family, and to contribute to the Trojan legacy.”