Recruiting the first test for Sarkisian

The phrase “USC recruits USC” is thrown around a lot by Trojan football fans and analysts. It refers to the belief that regardless of who the coach is, the University of Southern California football team will always attract talent. As arrogant as Bruin fans might find this notion, it is fairly accurate.

Whether the coach was Paul Hackett, Pete Carroll or Lane Kiffin, USC has always been able to recruit top-tier athletes. As signing day approaches, it appears that head coach Steve Sarkisian will not be the one to change this trend.

A heralded recruiter in his own right, it is no surprise that Sarkisian is putting together an impressive group of highly touted prospects. And though a nationally ranked class is to be expected, signing day carries a lot more significance than usual this year.

Wednesday marks the first true test of Sarkisian’s tenure. Up until this point, the former Washington coach has done everything right, from his introductory press conference to plucking Ricky Town right out of the hands of college football’s supreme power, the Alabama Crimson Tide. But even though these feats are admirable, they don’t foreshadow the trajectory of the program like this inaugural signing day will. Yes, USC recruits USC — but with varying methods.

Pete Carroll, the most successful coach in recent years, was able to dominate the fertile grounds of Southern California, convincing guys like Steve Smith and Matt Barkley to don the Trojan uniform. He also became a force nationally, going into the backyards of other national powers and picking up talented Trojans like Brian Cushing and Fred Davis. This approach proved successful for the majority of Carroll’s time at USC.

Lane Kiffin, on the other hand, strayed from this recruiting methodology. Whether it was the sanctions or a desire to compete with the SEC, Kiffin was obsessed with recruiting nationally. This certainly panned out with guys like Nickell Robey and Leonard Williams, although the chase for other five-stars, namely Jalen Ramsey, Matthew Thomas, and Seantrel Henderson ended up detracting from the Trojans’ efforts in Southern California.

All too often over the past three years, Trojans have watched southern California high school athletes excel for the likes of California, Washington, and Arizona State. Time and time again, fans were left thinking while watching those guys, “Why aren’t they at USC?”

That is why Wednesday is so important: The day will tell us a lot about the direction of the Trojans’ program under Sarkisian. If the entire group of verbal commits sign their letters of intent on Wednesday, USC will start off on the right foot. And the class would receive an enormous boost if both JuJu Smith and Damien Mama commit, as reports indicate is an almost certainty.

Coveted recruits Adoree’ Jackson and Michiah Quick might end up at Florida and Oklahoma respectively, which does take some of the luster off a great class. There is no question that the electric and game-breaking athleticism of Jackson and Quick would be tremendous assets to the USC program. But even if the two athletes go elsewhere, it shouldn’t diminish the immense significance of Sarkisian’s first class. Make no mistake: this class will serve as a firm foundation for the Trojans’ future.

Carroll’s best teams were dominant on the offensive and defensive lines in addition to having talented skill-position players. With a large portion of the incoming class dedicated to both sides of the line, USC will be in a position to replenish and solidify those units.

Additionally, this class is replete with talented defensive backs like Jonathan Lockett and John Plattenburg Jr. There are also a bevy of talented athletes — Ajene Harris, Jalen Greene or Rahshead Johnson — who could see time in the defensive backfield.

It is also highly likely that USC brings in Lamont Simmons, a physical cornerback from Florida. Having a deep rotation of talented defensive backs who can play single coverage man to man will free up Justin Wilcox to run an aggressive scheme that puts relentless pressure on talented Pac-12 quarterbacks.

In addition to addressing deficiencies in the program, Sarkisian is making a major statement about his recruiting strategy with this class. He is going to win with blinding speed and overpowering strength, mostly through the efforts of California athletes.

Re-opening up the Loyola High School pipeline was a major victory for USC with the addition of Chris Brown. Ajene Harris is an underrated prospect from Crenshaw High School, which has recently produced Marcus Martin and Hayes Pullard. Sarkisian is maintaining great relationships with Southern California stalwarts such as Mater Dei and Serra, while fostering connections with up and coming powers Narbonne and St. John Bosco. This is a recipe for success.

Sprinkle in the occasional out-of-state player from Arizona, Texas or Florida and Sarkisian is cooking up a potent combination reminiscent of Carroll’s heyday. When sanctions are lifted, there is no doubt that the coach will expand his efforts nationally, producing even stronger classes. Thankfully, it appears that Sarkisian understands the importance of maintaining inroads in Southern California, and not just chasing alluring five-stars across the map.

There is no knocking the immense talent of last year’s recruiting class. A lot of those of those players will make significant contributions at USC and have long professional careers. Building a class like that, however, leaves one vulnerable to injury and transfers. It creates talented teams that win 10 games but leave a little too much on the table.

Sarkisian’s approach is to build into a dynasty with a solid base that will begin its journey on Wednesday.

And if this signing day is any indication of what is to come for Trojan football, then I’m very excited.

Jake Davidson is a freshman majoring in accounting. His column “Davidson’s Direction” runs  every other Monday. To comment on this story, visit dailytrojan.com or email Jake at [email protected].