City Tavern supplies gourmet dishes for less

Many times throughout the semester, students can find themselves in a rut, trapped in the routine of Seeds for every meal or the EVK menu getting a little old. Thankfully, less than a mile down Figueroa Street, the newly opened City Tavern is available to anyone in dire need of some comfort food that won’t break the bank.

Cheap date  · The low prices and delicious gourmet style dishes at the new City Tavern location at Figat7th are sure to help any college student explore new food options without breaking the bank.  - Photo courtesy of City Tavern

Cheap date · The low prices and delicious gourmet style dishes at the new City Tavern location at Figat7th are sure to help any college student explore new food options without breaking the bank. – Photo courtesy of City Tavern

The second of its kind opened by owners Ken Kaufman, Brian McKeaney and Dave Northrup after the wild success of the original Culver City location, City Tavern offers a welcoming place to grab a great meal. Walking in the door, customers are welcomed by warm lighting and an open dining space. High ceilings, exposed decorative lightbulbs and chalkboard walls immediately grab one’s attention and add to the rustic ambiance. For those looking for a casual bar scene, the restaurant has an impressive bar that offers a wide selection of craft beers, California wines and signature cocktails.

The staff at City Tavern is both attentive and knowledgeable. Despite the restaurant only having been open for a short time period, the waiters were very familiar with the menu and had good suggestions as to which dishes to try.

The menu is split into categories ranging from “share” to “plates” to “held,” sandwiches and burgers diners eat with their hands. The widely varied menu has something for everyone.

The farmhouse cheese board, a three-cheese plate, has an array of fine cheese and amazing accompaniments. The Humboldt Fog offers a mix of Brie and blue cheese flavors delectably paired with the sweetness of candied apricot. The only downside to the plate? The crouton is far too thick and overpowered the other flavors the plate had to offer. Overall, however, the dish is well thought out, and the pairings help evolve a simple cheese plate.

The homemade mac and cheese was the ultimate comfort food. Topped with breadcrumbs and doused in gooey sharp cheddar, it is everything one would hope it to be.

It’s impossible not to finish the grilled bread salad — a delicious twist on a caprese salad. The grilled ciabatta bread, tomato, basil and mozzarella, topping a bed of crisp lettuce and tossed in balsamic vinaigrette and pesto, offered up a light and fresh plate.

The pulled pork sandwich was sweet and sloppy — the epitome of good Southern comfort food. The massive sandwich is a great choice for a delicious meal.

The pork pot roast came to the table piping hot with exquisite presentation. Upon cutting into the roast, it cut like butter, a great sign of a good meal. The sauce topping the meat was thick and sweet and complimented the pork flawlessly. The gratin potatoes, cut perfectly thin and well-cooked, were the highlight of the dish. Braised vegetables rounded out the dish, but were a disappointment compared to its outstanding companions.

For dessert, the bread pudding topped with caramel and fresh whipped cream was simple and delicious.

For a student who hasn’t strayed from a diet of Easy Mac and Caesar salads for the past week, City Tavern’s promise of gourmet comfort food was right on point. A pretty extensive meal for three people cost only $65.40, an unheard of final receipt for any decent restaurant in Downtown Los Angeles, and an answer to any college student’s nearly empty wallet. The food was incredible, each menu item a delicious twist on a classic meal, the restaurant itself was warm and relaxing, and it’s only a short hop off campus in the Figat7th complex. With all it has to offer, City Tavern will have a line of hungry customers out the door in no time.