Vintage Fashion Expo bring unique finds

Downtown Los Angeles became a thrift shopper’s paradise on Sunday as vintage collectors and admirers gathered together for the Los Angeles Vintage Fashion Expo.

The expo took place inside the Los Angeles Convention Center from Feb. 7-9. Attendees had the opportunity to shop from more than 50 vintage fashion dealers and exhibitors from across the country. Many of the dealers were L.A.-based and took the opportunity to showcase their local merchandise to a larger audience.

Vintage fashion has always carried two distinct connotations: it is either someone’s old clothing or a unique piece of history that offers a glimpse into a different era. For the expo attendees, vintage takes on the latter definition as something to be treasured and valued.

Whitney Peterson, owner of Etsy shop Let Them Eat Cake, pointed out the quality of vintage clothes that allows them to be wearable decade after decade.

“Vintage in general was made better; a lot of it was made by hand with a lot more care and better fabrics,” Peterson said.

There is a clear distinction between the mass market apparel found in stores today and the rare items showcased at the fashion expo. Some of the items on the display were one of a kind and anyone would be hard-pressed to find an exact replica of an item. It is not every day that one sees a hand-sewn beaded dress covered in crystals from the neck down to the arms.

There was a wide variety of styles to choose from to suit everyone’s taste. Though some booths looked like replicas of Lucille Ball’s closet, others were bursting with enough sparkles and feathers for a Gatsby party. There were even boutiques that catered to men, complete with top hats and canes. Prices ranged from $10 for a well-loved brooch to up to $2200 for an ivory and peach embroidered Narciso Rodriguez satin trench coat. Many of the clothes were brandless and without tags, making a trip to the large communal dressing room a necessary addition to the treasure hunt. Hidden among the unknown, however, were well-known designer pieces from such designers as Valentino and Chanel.

Many of the visitors had no inclination to shop but rather attended to marvel at the intricate designs and revel in the artistry to perhaps find something they could incorporate in their own wardrobes.

“There is nothing better and more inspiring than the art and the color and the styles of yesterday to color today, which can so often be so bland,” said Stacia Martin, an avid vintage shopper who frequents many vintage fairs.

There was no shortage of inspiration at the expo, with some pieces clearly showing their age and were more suited for collections than the closet. Vintage dealer Jermel Nakia, however, explained how versatile most vintage items can be.

“I feel like people should reinvent. You can do one piece that’s Lucille Ball-esque and modernize with a purse and shoes from today,” Nakia said.

The Vintage Fashion Expo has been bringing together the country’s top vintage dealers for almost 30 years. The event was founded by five vintage dealers in 1987 with the purpose of creating a space where the finest in vintage design, style and period pieces could be found.

“The goals of the expo are and always have been to bring together the country’s best vintage fashion dealers with the customer who collects or integrates quality vintage garments into their wardrobe, resulting in a good investment or personal killer style,” said Margaret Schell, director of marketing and communications for the Vintage Fashion Expo.

The expo takes place five times yearly in Los Angeles and San Francisco. This year, the Vintage Fashion Expo also partnered with Inspiration LA as a collaborative effort to create Vintage Weekend LA 2014. In total, more than 150 vintage fashion dealers showcased their collections to the public. Perhaps many of the dealers shared Nakia’s intentions with vintage dressing.

“All my pieces are about [being a] lady,” Nakia said. “I’m trying to bring back being chic and sophisticated and not having to expose any kind of skin and still be sexy.”

Something to remember: Audrey Hepburn and Lucille Ball never had to get naked or expose too much to be considered iconic. Here’s looking at you, Miley.