Garcetti official speaks

Yusef Robb, the communications director for  Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti, spoke on Tuesday night to students in Marks Hall about his experience in politics and how to succeed after graduation.

Communicating success · Communications Director for Mayor Garcetti, Yusef Robb, spoke to students Tuesday night about his experiences in political campaigning and how students can succeed after graduation. - Paul Jung | Daily Trojan

Communicating success · Communications Director for Mayor Garcetti, Yusef Robb, spoke to students Tuesday night about his experiences in political campaigning and how students can succeed after graduation. – Paul Jung | Daily Trojan

The lecture, entitled “From College to Career: Life as a Political Operative,” was hosted by South Area faculty master Tim Biblarz and is part of an ongoing “From College to Career” speakers series that aims to help students develop skills that will help them find employment after graduation.

Robb, who came to campus straight from the mayor’s office, opened with a humorous anecdote, mentioning that the number one question he gets asked as a spokesperson is “does he lie?”

He explained that, in tough cases such as when a seven-year-old asked what they do with dogs at the local pound, “sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do to get through.”

Robb went on to clarify he has an open and honest relationship with the press.

Robb’s first piece of career advice, however, was no lie.

“Lesson number one: you don’t need to win,” Robb said.

Robb explained that the various campaigns that he has worked on and lost only made him want to be more diligent in the future.

The communications director, who has worked in both Los Angeles and New York, also stressed the importance of strategic career location, especially in politics.

“The only way I was able to have pretty good jobs in politics … is because I positioned myself in the right spots,” Robb said.

Robb also offered some undergraduate and post-graduate wisdom.

“In terms of the college experience, knowing how to write is critical … and it’s not about poetry, it’s about clarity,” said Robb, who was a journalism major at New York University.

“The career advice I’m here to give you is if you want to be in the big time, go for the big time,” said Robb, who encouraged students to pursue their dream jobs.

“Have no pride, sleep on your mother’s couch — hold out for the job you want,” Robb said.

Students gathered for many reasons, but most were interested in Robb’s extensive political experience, which includes communications work on multiple political campaigns, such as the repeal of Proposition 8.

“I came because I’m an IR major and when I saw he was in policy I thought it was something I could be interested in,” said Erika Ingram, a freshman majoring in international relations. “I try to go to the speakers that sound interesting and might be relevant to my career.”

Ben Graham, an international relations professor in the Dornsife College of Arts, Letters and Sciences, helped  coordinate the event and considered the evening a success.

“This was exceptional, we had a great turnout,” Graham said. “I love the turnout that we get at these; I think the quality has been consistently high. I love this speaker’s series.”

This post has been updated.