Amgen CEO named USC trustee

Robert A. Bradway, chairman and CEO of Amgen Inc., the world’s largest biotechnology company, has been named to the USC Board of Trustees. The company, headquartered in Thousand Oaks, Calif., works to develop advanced therapeutics for patients suffering from a broad range of illnesses.

New faces · Robert A. Bradway, chairman and CEO of Amgen Inc., has worked for Morgan Stanley and was a managing director at a London firm. - Photo courtesy of Jamey Stillings

New faces · Robert A. Bradway, chairman and CEO of Amgen Inc., has worked for Morgan Stanley and was a managing director at a London firm. – Photo courtesy of Jamey Stillings

“Bob Bradway stands among our nation’s leading executives in the field of biotechnology,” said USC President C. L. Max Nikias in a press release. “Under his visionary guidance, Amgen has significantly expanded its reach while continuing to provide tremendously innovative therapies that restore health and save lives. Mr. Bradway brings to our board his exceptional experience and expertise, as well as his commitment to applying research to better our society.”

Bradway, who holds a bachelor’s degree in biology from Amherst College and a master’s in business administration from Harvard University, worked as a healthcare investment banker for Morgan Stanley and was the managing director for the firm in London before joining Amgen in 2006 and rising to the position of chairman in 2013. He currently serves on the advisory board for the USC Schaeffer Center for Health Policy and Economics.

“I think it’s great that we have a trustee who’s involved in the pharmaceutical industry,” said Ana Scuric, a freshman majoring in biochemistry. “When most people think of the pre-health field, they think of medicine, so it’s good to have other fields represented.”

The board of trustees is comprised of approximately 55 voting members, with one-fifth of the members elected each year for five-year terms.