USC Security Roundup

The following incidents were reported in the USC Dept. of Public Safety incident report summary between Saturday, May 17, and Monday, May 19. 

Crimes against a person

at 2:58 p.m. on May 17, two students reported that a non-USC male who lives at the same residence came into their rooms and slapped them both in the face without provocation. The male told DPS officers that he did in fact slap one of the students, but could not remember slapping the other. He admitted to suffering from mental health issues and per his own request was transferred to the California Hospital for psychiatric evaluation.

Crimes against property

at 4:48 p.m. on May 19, DPS responded to complaints that support beams within the parking garage at the Zeta Beta Tau Fraternity house had been spray painted with graffiti.

at 8:15 p.m. on May 19, a student reported he witnessed a suspect remove his laptop from his backpack at Starbucks while he was picking up his coffee from the counter. A second suspect held open the door for the first and they both fled with the computer. The student and a friend pursued them both and the suspect dropped the computer when the student caught up to him. The suspects both fled and were not found following a search of the area by DPS officers.