’SC strengthens ties with Mexican government

A delegation from the government of Mexico met with USC President C.L. Max Nikias and Trustee Edward P. Roski, Jr. The delegation included Mexican Secretary of Foreign Affairs Jose Antonio Meade, undersecretary for North American affairs Sergio Alcocer and consul general for Mexico in Los Angeles Carlos Sada.

Southern neighbors · President C.L. Max Nikias (left) talks with the Mexican Sectary of Foreign Affairs, Jose Antonio Meade (right), outside Hahn Plaza. - Gus Realas/USC

Southern neighbors · President C.L. Max Nikias (left) talks with the Mexican Sectary of Foreign Affairs, Jose Antonio Meade (right), outside Hahn Plaza. – Gus Realas/USC

“The University of Southern California is committed to supporting scholarly talent from all over the world, and Mexico is an especially important partner in creating intellectual capital that benefits our region and accelerates growth in both of our countries,” Nikias said in a press release.

The delegation’s visit followed the U.S.-Mexico Bilateral Forum on Higher Education, Innovation and Research, convened by Meade and U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry, which took place on May 21.

USC has featured prominently in recent talks between the United States and Mexico. Thomas Sayles, USC senior vice president for university relations, joined Los Angeles mayor Eric Garcetti on a trade mission to Mexico in March. The mission marked the announcement of a collaboration between USC and the Bank of Mexico Fund for Development of Human Resources that will provide scholarships for some master’s students.

Earlier this year, the USC Price School of Public Policy announced a joint program with Mexico’s National Council of Science and Technology to provide graduate fellowships.

Both these initiatives are built on the success of previous collaborative efforts between USC and its counterparts in Mexico.

USC has had the highest enrollment of international students among all colleges and universities for more than a decade according to the Institute of International Education. In addition to Mexico, USC also maintains offices in Brazil, China, Taiwan, South Korea and India.