Rudimental performs two concerts in Los Angeles

Two shows, one night. This was the life of British band Rudimental, who performed one opening gig at the Staples Center and another headlining at the Sound Nightclub in Hollywood on Wednesday.

Keeping it basic · Trumpeter Mark Crown joined Rudimental on tour. The group was nominated for a Mercury Prize in 2013 for its debut album, Home, and its track “Feel the Love” reached No. 1 in the U.K.  - Photo courtesy of Wikimedia Commons

Keeping it basic · Trumpeter Mark Crown joined Rudimental on tour. The group was nominated for a Mercury Prize in 2013 for its debut album, Home, and its track “Feel the Love” reached No. 1 in the U.K. – Photo courtesy of Wikimedia Commons

First up for the band was the behemoth venue that is the Staples Center, where Rudimental kicked off the night for Ed Sheeran’s concert.

The stadium was full in the standing areas and mostly filled in the seated sections, but the audience response to Rudimental’s performance was less than robust, especially in comparison with their response to Sheeran’s songs later in the night.

The lack of response, however, wasn’t due to a lack of ability. Take, for example, that Rudimental just had a very successful summer on the festival circuit that includes V Festival, Lollapalooza and Coachella. But, because they’re still an emerging band, the crowd’s lackluster behavior most likely stemmed from the crowd’s unfamiliarity with the artist. The front section closest to the stage seemed like the only area with any life. It also didn’t help that many people were still entering when the Rudimental set started at 7:30 p.m.

Sheeran, who is known for hits such as “The A Team” and “Lego House,” is not the only artist Rudimental is touring with right now. In addition to the red haired singer-songwriter, Rudimental is also currently on tour with Black Butter Records. Los Angeles is their fourth stop in North America.

The  four-piece band is comprised of Piers Agget, Amir Amor, Kesi Dryden and Leon Rolle (DJ Locksmith), and their style of music bridges pop and underground dance music. The group formed in 2010, with strong roots in an East-London district called Hackney, an area known as a working-class, multicultural melting pot. Their debut album cover, which hung on a backdrop onstage, is a Hackney neighborhood mural chosen to commemorate their roots.

One unique thing about Rudimental is the group does not have a frontman — there is no Adam Levine or Chris Martin stealing the limelight. Instead, the four members choose to bring in different vocals for each song.

Their strategy is working. The group’s song “Feel the Love,” featuring John Newman was nominated for a BRIT Award in 2013. In 2014, their song “Waiting All Night” won in the category of British Single of the Year at the BRIT Awards, beating out artists such as Bastille, Calvin Harris, Disclosure, Ellie Goulding and One Direction.

As was the case in its music festival shows, Rudimental’s performance was vigorous and athletic at the Staples Center. During the concert, the band was joined by additional vocalists: Bridgette Amofah, Anne-Marie and Thomas Jules, who typically perform the featured parts in Rudimental songs. Punctuated by frenetic jumping, high kicks and other dramatic antics, the group powered through their hits. Amofah’s energetic singing was emphasized by the physical movements she did onstage in an eye-catching pink skirt. Trumpet player Mark Crown was also present to add texture to their performance.

Soon, Rudimental introduced and launched into their song “Free” by asking the audience if they wanted to be “free.” The track featured the vocals of Emeli Sandé, which started to energize the atmosphere. Sandé’s role was performed by vocalist Anne-Marie. Sensing the lagging audience spirit, the band also started encouraging the audience to jump and clap along. The group’s most popular song that evening was “Waiting All Night,” and some audience members sang along to it. The track originally featured Ella Eyre, but was also performed by Anne-Marie.

Even though most of the band’s set was greeted with scattered cheers and audience members with seats remained seated, Rudimental valiantly tried to increase audience participation. The artists initiated a sing-along during “Feel the Love,” their breakout track, by aggressively pushing the lyrics and even slowing down and enunciating them for the audience to remember. The band also put up their hands in a heart shape for the audience to mimic. Fun fact — later that night, Sheeran performed “Bloodstream,” a song he wrote with Rudimental.

Several hours later, the group shifted to their second performance that night at Sound Nightclub. Here the audience was more laid-back, but also more warmed-up and open to dancing. Rudimental’s performance was preceded by veteran house music producer Todd Edwards, who pioneered a technique that gave birth to the U.K. garage style of dance music, and My Nu Leng, a Bristol based duo who draw on various influences to remix songs from top U.K. artists, such as Rudimental themselves.

The band began performing around half an hour past midnight and the club’s sunken dance floor was mostly filled. Under a shiny shark-shaped disco ball, partygoers jammed along to the music. The Sound Nightclub is small and modern venue right next door to the historic Egyptian Theatre on Hollywood Boulevard. Its decor combines a bit of industrial-cool aesthetic with some old-school touches. The elevated stage in the center of the dance floor is designed so that the act could be seen from all around the club.

Rudimental’s D.J. set at The Sound was different from what they performed at the concert. Gone were the live performers, although Crown stayed to interject trumpet solos, to which audiences reacted well. They performed “Powerless” and some more of their underground dance songs.

Rudimental will continue to tour America with Sheeran and Black Butter Records. The group will return to the United Kingdom to perform at the iTunes Festival next month and have lined up collaborations with Nile Rogers, funk legend George Clinton and Kelis.