Boiled chicken delivers convenience and versatility

Children are notorious for being the toughest food critics, and I was no exception. Immediately after my mother would pick me up from elementary school, I demanded to know what was for dinner. Spaghetti with tomato sauce was a reliable weeknight staple, as was anything that came out of Grandma’s kitchen. While I crinkled my nose at leftovers and reluctantly accepted grilled salmon, I absolutely loathed boiled chicken. Anything sounded more appetizing than the pale, flavorless poultry plopped on my plate with a side of steamed broccoli. When I began cooking for myself in college, however, I came to appreciate the convenience and versatility of this simple item.

Colorful and tasty · Chicken salad lettuce cups are a fun way to liven up bland but dependable boiled chicken by mixing it with an assortment of vegetables and tangy Greek yogurt then serving it in a lettuce cup. - Maral Tavitian | Daily Trojan

Colorful and tasty · Chicken salad lettuce cups are a fun way to liven up bland but dependable boiled chicken by mixing it with an assortment of vegetables and tangy Greek yogurt then serving it in a lettuce cup. – Maral Tavitian | Daily Trojan

For the college cook, a mild protein such as boiled chicken forms an ideal base for just about any recipe. Here, I have incorporated it into two quick, healthy and inventive salads. I recommend preparing the chicken in advance, and then storing it in the refrigerator for use throughout the week.

The first salad — arugula with crisp chickpeas — strikes a balance between simple summer fare and warmer fall flavors. Browning canned chickpeas in a bit of olive oil, thyme and red pepper flakes provide heartiness and great texture. The four-ingredient lemon vinaigrette keeps the salad fresh and bright, perfectly complementing the peppery arugula and shaved Parmesan.

For my lightened-up version of traditional chicken salad, I mix in lots of colorful vegetables and replace the usual mayonnaise with tangy Greek yogurt. Yogurt delivers the creaminess of mayo without the guilt, and the dish stays fresh for longer.

Basic Boiled Chicken

• Two 4-ounce boneless, skinless chicken breasts (preferably organic)

• Salt and pepper

Active: 5 min; Total: 30 min

1. Season each side of the chicken breasts with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Fill a large pot two-thirds of the way with water and place over high heat. When the water is boiling, add the chicken to the pot and reduce the heat to medium-high.

2. Boil the chicken for 20 minutes and then turn off the heat. Cover the pot and allow the chicken to cook for another 5 minutes.

3. To check if the chicken is done, cut through the thickest part of the breast. The meat should be white throughout, and the juices should run clear. Cooking times may vary based on the thickness of each piece.

The boiled chicken can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to four days.

Arugula Salad with shredded chicken and crisp chickpeas

• 2 tablespoons olive oil

• One 15-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed and dried

• 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes

• 4 sprigs thyme

• 3 cups arugula

• 1 cup shredded boiled chicken (from 1 large boneless, skinless breast)

• 1/2 cup Parmesan shavings

• Salt and pepper, to taste

For the lemon vinaigrette:

• 3 tablespoons lemon juice (from 1 large lemon)

• 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar

• 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard

• 2 tablespoons olive oil

• 1/4 teaspoon salt

• 1/4 teaspoon pepper

Total: 15 min. Serves four.

1. To make the vinaigrette, combine the lemon juice, vinegar and mustard together in a small bowl. Slowly stream in the olive oil, whisking constantly. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.

2. Heat olive oil in a medium skillet set over medium heat. Add the chickpeas, red pepper flakes and thyme, stirring occasionally, until chickpeas are golden brown and crisp. Transfer the chickpeas, arugula, shredded chicken and Parmesan to a large serving bowl. Pour the vinaigrette over and toss gently to coat. Season with more salt and pepper to taste. Serve.

Chicken Salad Lettuce cups 

• 3 cups shredded boiled chicken (from 3 large boneless, skinless breasts)

• 3 celery sticks, diced

• 1 red or orange bell pepper, diced

• 1 cup shredded carrots

• 2 tablespoons lemon juice (from 1 large lemon)

• 1/2 cup Greek yogurt or light mayonnaise

• 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard

• 1/4 teaspoon salt

• 1/2 teaspoon pepper

• 8 large leaves of iceberg or romaine lettuce

Total: 15 min. Serves four.

1. In a large bowl, combine the chicken with the diced celery, bell peppers, shredded carrots, lemon juice, Greek yogurt, mustard, salt and pepper. Season with more salt and pepper to taste.

2. To serve, spoon about 1/2 cup of the chicken salad into each lettuce cup.

Serving the chicken salad in romaine wedges makes the dish gluten-free, but feel free to substitute whole-wheat bread if you prefer.

Maral Tavitian is a sophomore majoring in print and digital journalism. Her column, “The Epicurean Dorm,” runs Tuesdays.