Sarkisian, Trojans using bye week effectively

The USC football team is moving past its tough defeat at Boston College and focusing on ways to improve as a team during this bye week. Having the week off has allowed the team to dial in on fundamentals and come together with the goal of returning to playoff contention.

Two-way street · USC freshman wide-receiver/defensive back Adoree’ Jackson was named the team’s Player of the Day at practice on Wednesday. Jackson has recorded three total tackles, two of them for loss, so far this season. - Ralf Cheung | Daily Trojan

Two-way street · USC freshman wide-receiver/defensive back Adoree’ Jackson was named the team’s Player of the Day at practice on Wednesday. Jackson has recorded three total tackles, two of them for loss, so far this season. – Ralf Cheung | Daily Trojan

Making Adjustments

Head coach Steve Sarkisian sees the week off as a way to prepare his team for the rest of the season and to fix any problems that might have come up in earlier weeks. He stressed being experimental with his schemes and personnel and mentioned that the team is focused on returning to the fundamentals of the game and minimizing mistakes.

“Bye week is always unique because you’re trying to fix some of the issues that you have and what you have previously installed,” the first-year coach said. “We looked at a few different schemes today that I’ll have to look at the film to see how they look and how they mesh with what we’re doing, but the guys worked hard.”

Sarkisian also responded to those who criticized his play-calling and decision-making against BC.

“I’ve had worse games than scoring 31 points before,” he said.

That being said, Sarkisian knows that there are always aspects of the game that can be improved.

“After every game, win or lose, I analyze myself first as the head coach and as the play caller,” Sarkisian said. “Inevitably after every game you think, ‘Boy, we played great,’ but there’s always five to 10 calls where I say, ‘You know, if I did that again, I’d call that play differently there.’ Obviously those things get magnified when you don’t win.”

Sarkisian also discussed the significance of not being a one-dimensional team and emphasized the versatility of the team’s best athletes, including sophomore defensive back Su’a Cravens.

“Su’a [Cravens] is a guy who can create turnovers, he can make tackles in the backfield, he can blitz off the edge, he can cover well,” Sarkisian said. “I think he’s at his best when he’s around the ball.”

Getting Back on Track

Not only has this week off given the Trojans much needed rest, but it has also allowed freshman wide receiver Ajene Harris to reestablish himself as a formidable threat in the offensive system.

“I think this week for him has kind of gotten him back to training camp mode, which is when he really impressed us,” Sarkisian explained. “We’ve refocused on Ajene [Harris] this week and its shown up again, his toughness and his playmaking ability.”

Having Harris back in the fold on offense has also let junior wide receiver Nelson Agholor return to his more natural position on the outside after more recently being utilized in the slot.

“Ajene [Harris] keeps fighting for playing time, and he’s had a great attitude,” Sarkisian said. “We’ve moved Nelson [Agholor] some back outside this week, and we’ve seen his playmaking again on the perimeter.”

Kryptonite

Freshman cornerback Adoree’ Jackson might have his share of nicknames to choose from if he continues his impressive play. Jackson was called the “player of the day” by his coach, who also referred to his freshman as the kryptonite to the offense. Jackson caused three turnovers in one period during practice, forcing two fumbles and intercepting a pass.

This kind of play characterizes how the younger guys have responded to the loss in practice this week.

Redshirt senior inside linebacker Hayes Pullard said that his younger teammates have moved on from the loss and are responding to the model set by the veterans and coaching staff.

“They’re not worried about the loss. They know that doesn’t determine if we go to the national championship or not,” Pullard said. “We have to take it one game at a time and win out in the [Pac-12 South].”