Embrace fall with easy and delicious bean soups

A well-stocked pantry is my weeknight dinner savior, and it should be yours, too. Peanut butter, mixed nuts, Dijon mustard, sea salt and good olive oil are just a few items that I keep on-hand at all times. You won’t find any Cup of Noodles tucked into my cabinets; the Epicurean Dorm is a strict ramen-free zone.

Convenient and delicious · Since the beans in these recipes come pre-cooked, the preparation only takes a few minutes, but the stew still has the richness and flavor of one that requires hours of preparation. - Maral Tavitian | Daily Trojan

Convenient and delicious · Since the beans in these recipes come pre-cooked, the preparation only takes a few minutes, but the stew still has the richness and flavor of one that requires hours of preparation. — Maral Tavitian | Daily Trojan

This week’s recipes celebrate one of my most-used pantry staples: canned beans. Despite their humble appearance, canned beans provide an ideal base for simple yet spectacular vegetarian soups. All you need are some fresh vegetables, a splash of olive oil and a generous pinch of salt and pepper to elevate a can of beans into a healthy and satisfying meal. Since the beans are pre-cooked, the dish comes together in just a few minutes but still possesses the lavishness and the rich, deep flavor of a stew that has simmered for hours.

Stewed chickpeas with carrots and kale is a light, Mediterranean-inspired dish that pairs nicely with brown rice or toasted pita. Feel free to swap in white beans and spinach, or throw in a handful of cherry tomatoes for an extra burst of sweetness. While a dusting of grated Parmesan provides a luxurious, saline finish, you could eliminate the cheese for a completely vegan entrée.

My minimalist pinto bean chili will indulge your cravings for Mexican food without the guilt. Though most chili recipes require cumin, chili powder and other ingredients that college students rarely use, this version allows the toppings to do the work. Sliced avocado, sour cream and cheddar cheese are a few classics, but the pinto bean base will complement a diverse range of toppings.

Once you nail the bean-vegetable-liquid ratio, you can adapt the basic formula using different ingredients. It is important to season liberally and frequently with salt and pepper, tasting as you go. No matter the combination, there is no better way to welcome brisk fall weather than with a quick, comforting and home-cooked soup.

Stewed Chickpeas with Carrots and Kale 

• 1 tablespoon olive oil

• 1/2 cup diced onion

• 1/2 cup diced carrot (from about 1 medium carrot)

• 1/4 teaspoon cumin (optional)

• 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes

• One 15-ounce can chickpeas,

• 1 cup water

• 1 cup roughly chopped kale

• 2 tablespoons grated

• Parmesan cheese, plus more for serving

• Salt and pepper

Active: 15 minutes; Total: 20 minutes. Serves two.

1. Warm olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and carrots, season with a pinch of salt and pepper and sauté until the onions are soft and translucent, about 3-4 minutes. Add the red pepper flakes and cumin, if desired, and mix until fragrant, about 30 seconds.

2. Drain the liquid from the top of the chickpeas and then add them to the pot. Season with 1/4 teaspoon each of salt and pepper, add the water, increase the heat to medium-high and bring the mixture to a boil. Once boiling, reduce the heat to medium-low and allow the mixture to simmer until it reaches the desired consistency, about 5 minutes longer. With 1 minute left, stir in the kale and Parmesan. To serve, season with salt and pepper to taste and top with more grated Parmesan.

Minimalist Pinto Bean Chili 

• 1 tablespoon olive oil

• 1/2 cup diced onion

• 1 jalapeño, ribs and seeds removed, finely diced

• One 15-ounce can diced tomatoes, with juice

• One 15-ounce can pinto beans, drained

• 1 cup water

• Salt and pepper

• Optional Toppings: sliced avocado, Greek yogurt or sour cream, cheddar cheese, cilantro, tortilla strips

Active: 15 min; Total: 20 min. Serves four.

1. Warm olive oil in a medium saucepot over medium heat. Add the onion and jalapeño, season with a pinch of salt and pepper and sauté until the onions are soft and translucent, 3-4 minutes.

2. Add beans, tomatoes and their juice and one cup of water. Increase the heat to medium-high and bring the mixture to a boil. Once boiling, reduce the heat to medium-low and allow the mixture to simmer until the chili has thickened, about 15-20 minutes longer.

3. Remove from the heat and season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve chili with toppings of choice.

Maral Tavitian is a sophomore majoring in print and digital journalism. Her column, “The Epicurean Dorm,” runs Tuesdays.