Watson’s UN feminist speech relays inspirational message

This past Saturday, actress Emma Watson gave an impassioned United Nations speech introducing the HeForShe campaign, a promotion through UN Women that invites men to join women in the conversation about gender equality. Watson’s speech could not have come at a more opportune time.

After major hacks exposing celebrity private photos, domestic violence cases marring the National Football League and the Miss America pageant coming under increased scrutiny, Watson succinctly articulated the truth: Women’s rights are human rights, and gender equality involves both men and women.

The year 1995 marked the Fourth World Conference on Women in Beijing, China where then-first lady Hillary Clinton proclaimed the beginning of women’s rights as a global human rights issue.

Continuing in that spirit, Watson said that feminism is significantly misunderstood. Feminists are stereotyped as bra-burning, man-hating women who refuse to shave their legs. But really, feminism in its purest form is the “belief that men and women should have equal rights and opportunities,” as Watson stated. Our societal narrative should depart from the misunderstood convention of gender equality by shifting toward a modern philosophy that fosters conversation between men and women and paves the way for equal treatment and opportunity.

Sexual assault, rape, domestic violence and any other harm towards another individual is a complex issue to approach, in part because of the attitudes and beliefs held by many in society about women. General examples of victim blaming are common in everyday conversation.

“Look at the way she was dressed.” “What do you expect when you wear something that short?” “Just don’t take the photos.” “You shouldn’t have been walking alone.” You hear many people make these comments when it comes to violence towards women. It’s utter nonsense.

The idea that women should be held responsible for the attacks committed against them is completely outrageous. Instead of society teaching women how to avoid potential dangers, men need to be held accountable for the manner in which they conduct themselves and treat others. Why then, when it comes to sexual violence, do we consistently victim-blame?

A common rule of thumb given to men is to treat any woman as they would treat their mother or sister. Though well-intentioned, that philosophy is completely anathema to the spirit of gender equality. It implies that familiarity is the sole reason to treat a woman in a civilized manner. You should not respect a woman just because you respect your mother or sister or other familial female figure. You should respect a woman because she is a human being who should be treated equally and given the same opportunity and treatment as anyone else. Women are not delicate creatures who should be thought of as fragile. Women are human beings. Feminism shouldn’t just be a fight left to women. Feminism is gender equality that involves men and women working together towards one goal.

Another recent event that highlights gender disparity is the 88th Miss America pageant, which was held in Atlantic City, New Jersey last week. The Miss America Organization claims to provide over $45 million in scholarships for women. It claims to foster intelligent, knowledgeable and involved citizens who are models for society. But since when does intelligence or dignity involve a bikini competition? And, despite being an organization that predicates itself on scholarships, the Miss America organization paid only $500,000 in scholarships in 2012, according to Esquire. Today, pageants still objectify beauty with the façade of offering an academic future.

Emma Watson spoke for everyone at the United Nations last Saturday. She said what most think but are too afraid to publicly express. In the past, if a young woman had written a speech like that, she would have been viewed as “that indie, hipster girl.”

But that’s the past. Men and women should engage in substantive conversation because feminism is not a female issue, it’s a human rights issue. It’s about time men step up their role in supporting it.

Athanasius Georgy is a sophomore majoring in biological sciences. His column, “On the World Stage,” runs Thursdays.