The public’s reaction to the celebrity nude photo release indicates the media’s sensationalism

Over the past few weeks, a slew of celebrities have found themselves in the spotlight, but for all of the wrong reasons. According to CNN, an unknown hacker obtained nude photos of one male and over 100 female public figures via iCloud, and subsequently released them onto the Internet. The biggest names among them included “Hunger Games” actress Jennifer Lawrence, model Kate Upton and reality star Kim Kardashian, while others, such as Olympic gymnast McKayla Maroney and pop singer Ariana Grande were also targeted. This was clearly a gross violation of privacy, but even grosser was the fact that the American public was so quick to laugh at, distribute and ridicule the photos and respective celebrities.

It’s no secret that the media has long sensationalized celebrity news. With the rising popularity of pseudo-journalistic tabloids and associated websites, both rumors and official happenings are circulated at record speeds. But while this has stimulated the entertainment industry, it has also generated a nasty side effect. Society no longer takes these public figures seriously due to the “stories” that are written about these individuals, and as such, they are mere sources of entertainment.

Ironically, celebrities rose to fame due to their essential roles in the entertainment industry. As film and television actors, singers, models and personalities, their careers hinged on looks and perceptions. However, the line between public and private information is nonexistent: the freedom of the press allows tabloids to publish freely, regardless of whether or not it is information about a celebrity’s private life, such as with the nude photo leak.

The release of the photos triggered a variety of responses. Although some readers were sympathetic, many condemned the celebrities themselves for taking the photos. In the comment section of a Washington Post article about the photo leak, one user wrote, “The best way to maintain personal privacy of your body, is NOT to take your naked photos to begin with.” While this may be true, photos are a form of personal property, just like clothes or shoes. The exposure and distribution of these pictures is theft. These public figures did not take these pictures with the intention of them being released to the public, just as one does not buy items with the intention of them getting stolen. It may seem like a strange comparison, but at its very basis, this scandal was nothing more than a robbery, albeit one that was blown out of proportion by the media.

There are lots of variables that cannot be controlled in situations like these. Celebrities will continue to take racy photographs, and hackers will continue to attempt to collect information and photos that will stir up controversy. The tabloids will always print provocative stories that they believe will sell magazines. The single factor that can be altered is society’s treatment of celebrity culture. The more people feed into media sensationalism by circulating nude photos or posting ridiculing comments online, the greater the situation will appear. It is disrespectful to shame or poke fun at those whose pictures have been unlawfully stolen and subsequently released; the entertainment that we take for granted should come from celebrities’ official work, not events that take place in their personal lives. The media will continue to shape the way the public views celebrity culture, but as it stands now, it is completely out of control. Public figures are people, too, and they deserve respect.