USC Security Roundup

The following incidents were reported in the USC Dept. of Public Safety incident report summary between Wednesday, Sept. 24, and Thursday, Sept. 25. 

Crimes against property

At 8:13 a.m. on Sept. 24, a student reported being approached by a suspect from behind when she was walking near 29th Street and Orchard Avenue. The suspect attempted to take the student’s cellular phone out of her hands. The student turned around and then the suspect demanded that the student give the suspect her cell phone. The student then started to scream and ran into the middle of the street while the suspect ran from the scene. The student called DPS, who searched but found no suspect.

At 11:16 A.m. on Sept. 24, a staff member reported to DPS that her USC Parking Permit was missing.

At 1:35 P.m. on Sept. 24, DPS officers responded to a report that a student at Ronald Tutor Campus Center attempted to buy a meal with a counterfeit $20 bill. The student told DPS that he did not know that the bill was counterfeit and he was allowed to pay with an authentic $20 bill. The counterfeit bill was confiscated from the student and DPS turned it in to Bank of America.

Miscellaneous incidents

at 8:55 a.m. on Sept. 24, DPS responded to a report that a student at the Lorenzo Apartments was suicidal. Upon arrival, the student was unharmed and declined an offer to get in contact with a counselor at Student Counseling Center. DPS left the scene after concluding that the student did not pose a threat to herself.

at 10:33 A.m. on Sept. 24, it was reported that a staff member in the parking structure on Exposition Boulevard drove a USC vehicle into a concrete island, damaging the tire on the front side of the vehicle.

at 10:40 a.m. on Sept. 24, a non-USC female was suffering from diabetic shock. DPS officers and a Rapid Response Team responded to evaluate the female and transport her to Keck Hospital to receive medical treatment.

at 11:21 a.m. on Sept. 24, a non-USC male was suffering from low blood pressure. DPS officers and a Rapid Response Team responded and evaluated the male and transported him to Keck Hospital to receive medical treatment.

at 3:13 P.m. on Sept. 24,  a student reported that his cell phone screen was broken after a suspect slapped it out of his hand during a confrontation about a flag that was stolen from a booth at Jefferson Boulevard and Hoover Street. DPS officers arrived and conducted a search but were unable to find the suspect.