Fantasy Football: Trade Targets

If your team is struggling as of late, you might want to shake things up. It is getting to the point in the season where if your team is 0-4 or 1-3, things need to change. In most cases, this is going to take a drastic change and as a team owner, you cannot rely on just the waiver wire to drag your team out from the gutter.

Tampa Bay's Doug Martin is one player that has the potential to turn your fantasy football season around. — Adam Bettcher / Getty Images

Tampa Bay’s Doug Martin is one player that has the potential to turn your fantasy football season around. — Adam Bettcher / Getty Images

Perhaps your chance at changing the course of your season is with a massive trade that gets the rest of your league to take a step back and really appreciate its magnitude. While obviously it is ideal to trade for a stud like Aaron Rodgers, Calvin Johnson, amongst many other big time names… this may NOT be your best strategy.

Take a risk and target a guy that as of right now isn’t having the best season, but who has the ability to break out. He’s cheaper than a stud and could give you ultimate bragging rights by making you look like a fantasy genius. Most fantasy champions already have one or two of the major breakout stars on their team, so if you want the hardware at the end of the season, make a move. Here are some guys that could either turn your fantasy team around or keep you on track for your big celebration as league champion.

Doug Martin, RB, Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Doug Martin, or the muscle hamster, has been plagued by injuries since his rookie year. A knee injury has kept him limited this year and he is looking to week four to have his breakout game this year. The muscle hamster has all the potential in the world to return to brilliance and put up similar numbers to his rookie year where he rushed for 1,454 yards and eleven touchdowns. He is relatively cheap to acquire because of his injury history and if his current owner has any doubts in him, I would try and make a deal for him before he has a big game.

Keenan Allen, WR, San Diego Chargers

Keenan Allen came into this year with such high expectations after a stellar rookie season. He was highly drafted and thus far has let his owners down. However, do not let this deter you from acquiring him. Allen has been struggling with a groin injury and with Phillip Rivers as quarterback look for a good rest of the season from Allen. Hopefully whoever owns Keenan Allen is frustrated enough with his production to let you snag him away.

Rob Gronkowski, TE, New England Patriots

This target may seem rather obvious because lets face it its GRONK, but owners may forget how good he could be. When healthy Gronkowski was on the same level, if not better, than the best tight end in the game Jimmy Graham. If you can acquire Gronkowski cheap enough definitely take that chance because he has the potential to return to form and make a serious impact in every single game for the rest of the season.