USC starts four-match homestand on Friday

After splitting a road swing with Washington and Washington State, the USC women’s volleyball team returns home for a four-match homestand starting Friday night against the Colorado Buffaloes.

Deep dish · Sophomore setter Alice Pizzasegola has been a large contributor this season, ranking second on the team with 266 sets. - Samuel Chang | Daily Trojan

Deep dish · Sophomore setter Alice Pizzasegola has been a large contributor this season, ranking second on the team with 266 sets. – Samuel Chang | Daily Trojan

During the road trip, then-No. 19 USC (8-6, 1-3 Pac-12) fell to then-No. 4 Washington in straight sets, but rebounded with a hard-fought five-set win over the Cougars.

The Women of Troy now set their sights on their next opponents during a crucial weekend, as they hope to improve their status in the Pac-12 as well as their national ranking.

Unfortunately for USC, the Galen Center has not been the safe haven it once was this season. The Women of Troy hold a 108-16 all-time home record; so far in 2014 the Women of Troy are 0-4 at home.

During this week’s practice, the team picked up its focus and intensity. Sophomore setter Alice Pizzasegola spoke highly of her team’s preparation over the past few days.

“We had a drill where one hitter was against the other hitter,” Pizzasegola said. “It was really helpful because we need to compete every time, every point and every game.”

Head coach Mick Haley had similar sentiments about this week’s practice.

“They were very competitive, and they were pretty focused,” Haley said.

Colorado (10-6, 2-2) visits the Southland after a strong performance against then-No. 14 Arizona, in which they swept the Wildcats in three games. Going into Friday’s match, the Women of Troy have never lost against the Buffaloes in eight chances all-time.

The Buffaloes have two excellent setters, Gabby Simpson and Nicole Edelman, who feed standout outside hitter Taylor Simpson. Simpson leads the team in kills with 285, 187 more than the next player.

Colorado also has formidable blockers up front. The squad averages 2.2 blocks per set and is led by middle blocker Anna Pfefferle.

On Saturday, the Women of Troy will continue their home slate against Utah (11-4, 1-3). Though the Utes have not played many highly ranked opponents this season, the team did beat a dangerous Arizona State squad that can already claim wins over USC and Colorado.

Just like Colorado, the Utes run a traditional offense with six hitters and two setters. Outside hitter Chelsey Schofield-Olsen leads the team in kills with 184, an average of 3.47 kills per set. The Utes’ top setters are Kalee Kirby and Kendall Cygen. Kirby leads the team with 284 assists, while Cygen is close behind with 215.

As the Women of Troy continue to improve, they have been relying heavily on junior outside hitter Samantha Bricio. A standout two-way player, Bricio leads the team in kills with 191 and is second in digs with 142. Sophomore libero Taylor Whittingham has also been a crucial piece of USC’s success, passing out of the back row during key serve-receive situations.

Whittingham, the leader in the back row, knows that defending serves can be tough.

“It’s difficult because it’s never the same thing twice,” Whittingham said. “You work on your technique, but you have to adjust to the serve and the server.”

Passing will be very important if the Women of Troy want to knock off both teams this weekend. If USC can win both matches this weekend, they will be right back in the middle of the conference, where they can still make a run at a Pac-12 title.

The team’s starting setter, senior Hayley Crone, has gained praise from Haley for her improvement since the beginning of the season.

“[Crone] is getting her confidence back and that is the biggest thing,” Haley said. “She was releasing the ball nice in practice and the better she gets, the better we’ll be.”

Friday’s game against the Buffaloes tips off at 6 p.m. PST at the Galen Center. The Women of Troy face the Utes just a day later at 7 p.m.

After about a week off, USC will face another challenge: hosting the No. 11 Oregon Ducks on Oct. 17.