Tricks to navigate midterms with that special someone

With midterms underway, there is an increasing amount of stress not only in daily life, but in relationships as well. Unless you are exceptionally fortunate, both your and your partner’s schedules will not match up, and making time to see each other can be nearly impossible.

Helping hand · The stress of working through midterms can be very hazardous to a relationship, but it can be beaten with communication and good planning. If done correctly a relationship can be a boost instead. - Photo illustration by Mariya Dondonyan

Helping hand · The stress of working through midterms can be very hazardous to a relationship, but it can be beaten with communication and good planning. If done correctly a relationship can be a boost instead. – Photo illustration by Mariya Dondonyan

Instead of taking out your stress on your significant other, try these helpful hints to get you through those stressful weeks:

There are so many activities going on in college, and it’s tempting to take on as many extracurriculars as possible, though it’s not the smartest idea. It’s not unusual to push reading and homework aside until the last minute in hopes of successfully cramming it all in right before the midterm. The reason professors assign reading every week, however, is so you do not have to read 500 pages in one night about all the different types of bacteria. Knowing how much work you will have to catch up on hangs over your head, and who wants that? Once midterms come around, you may be learning the material for the first time, which creates a perfect storm of stress.

So do yourself and your significant other a favor and read the required material when it’s due during the semester. Then when midterms do come up, you will be able to briefly skim over the readings and your notes, knowing that this material has already been ingrained in your brain. This preparation will help you decrease those last-minute cram sessions so that you can spend more time with your significant other and feel less stressed and more rested. Now you no longer have to set a whole day aside for studying and sacrifice time with your partner -— you can split the time half and half.

If you are a chronic procrastinator and are unable to spread the work out during the semester, don’t worry. Make an effort to communicate your needs so that your boyfriend or girlfriend will know you are in study mode and to respect your space. There is plenty of time to see each other after each of you has taken your tests. Do not let a relationship get in the way of good grades. If your partner loves you enough, they will understand that your education is one of the most important things in your life. Explain to them that it’s not because you don’t desperately want to see them, but rather that seeing them might be too much of a distraction. A person who truly loves you wishes to see you succeed. If they tell you that they are more important than your exams, it may be time to discuss your priorities and if your relationship is going in the right direction.

It is also important to be realistic about your study environment. If you try studying in a place that you realize is not productive, then find a new place to study. Yes, not being able to see your boyfriend or girlfriend for hours or even days sounds like the end of the world to some people, and you may feel obligated to kill two birds with one stone and study together. It’s a great idea in theory, but who really wants to study when the love of your life looks so damn cute sitting next to you? Try to find a quiet comfortable spot with no distractions. Procrastination is easy when there are people or noises to distract you. Distracting study areas not only hurt your studies, but your relationship as well. Many couples take out their frustrations and stress on each other. Do not let unproductive studying get in the way of your happiness.

For those who cannot stand the idea of not seeing their love for more than a few hours, there are ways to be proactive. Everybody needs a study break once in awhile. Go meet up with your significant other at Starbucks and grab a coffee together, but set a time limit. All too easily a 15-minute study break turns into a two-hour adventure.

Keep these study breaks short and sweet, but most of all woth the time. You can do this by discussing the rest of your study plans and how it has been going. Try to stay upbeat when discussing your progress and keep thinking of how great it will feel after the test is done and knowing that you prepared yourself. Accomplishing your work will give you a positive attitude and may just influence the study habits of your partner as well. Your hard work may even impress them.

The most important tip, however, is to enjoy the moments after your exam is over. Stressing out will never help your grade once you have walked out of the classroom. So whether or not you feel you did well, try to unwind with your special someone and enjoy the fact that you are done. There is nothing more relaxing than being with the one person who makes you happy and showing them that you can separate school and downtime.

Cassie Collins is a junior majoring in communication. Her column, “From Troy, with Love,” runs Wednesdays.