Mother and two children seriously injured in crash

On Monday, Oct. 27, at approximately 1:20 p.m., a woman and her two children were hit by a car on the corner of Jefferson Boulevard and Vermont Avenue near the University Park campus.

On the scene · Police officers investigate the accident near the USC campus on the corner of Vermont Avenue and Jefferson Boulevard. - Mariya Dondonyan | Daily Trojan

On the scene · Police officers investigate the accident near the USC campus on the corner of Vermont Avenue and Jefferson Boulevard. – Mariya Dondonyan | Daily Trojan

According to LAPD, the woman driving lost control of her vehicle and ran into the bus stop in front of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, hitting a woman and her one-year-old and two-year-old daughters, according to the Los Angeles Police Department.

“LAPD is investigating the vehicle that went over the curb at the [northwest] corner of Vermont and Jefferson that struck a woman and her two children on the bus bench,” said Dept. of Public Safety Deputy Chief David Carlisle. “The victims were transported to the hospital.”

The three victims were the only pedestrians waiting at the bus stop and the only three severely injured. The driver was with her daughter, who was sitting in the passenger seat. Both suffered only minor injuries in the accident.

The car was heavily damaged and left in the middle of Vermont Avenue, with its bumper remaining on the sidewalk. Shattered glass was at the bus stop with the victim’s stroller and children’s clothes left on the ground. The block was closed off by LAPD until the car was removed from the area, and the glass from the bus stop was cleaned up at approximately 4 p.m.

According to LAPD officer Rebecca Gordillo, as of approximately 2:30 p.m. Monday, the victims were in stable condition. Gordillo also stated the reason for the driver losing control is unknown.

“The vehicle was driving eastbound [on] Jefferson and making a left turn northbound on Vermont at the green arrow,” Gordillo said. “We don’t know the exact reason the car lost control, and we will check camera footage from the surrounding buildings. However, what we do know for sure is that the car lost control as the driver was making the left turn and collided into pedestrians at this bus bench.”