Visions and Voices hosts Rita Moreno

On Monday night, USC hosted noted Puerto Rican actress and singer Rita Moreno at the Visions and Voices event “Rita Moreno: A Celebration of Artistic Achievement.”

The Dornsife College of Letters, Arts and Sciences and the Latino Alumni Association jointly organized the event, and it was co-sponsored by the Program Board Performing Arts Committee. The program took place in Bovard Auditorium and was preceded by a welcome reception.

Lovely Rita · Rita Moreno, an award-winning entertainer, said she knew from an early age that she wanted to be in show business. She told the audience that she was motivated to work harder after facing discrimination. - Audey Shen | Daily Trojan

Lovely Rita · Rita Moreno, an award-winning entertainer, said she knew from an early age that she wanted to be in show business. She told the audience that she was motivated to work harder after facing discrimination. – Audey Shen | Daily Trojan

“We are thrilled to have this amazing leader in the artistic community come here,” said Domenika Lynch, executive director of the Latino Alumni Association. “She worked her way up during a time that wasn’t easy for her demographic, and she has opened so many doors for Latinas in entertainment.”

Moreno has won Emmy, Grammy, Oscar and Tony awards during her lifetime. She is the first person of Hispanic descent to accomplish such a feat, and one of a mere handful of entertainers to ever claim this achievement.

“First and foremost, [Moreno] is among the most respected figures in the performing arts,” English professor David Román said. “Her stature secures USC’s investment, and especially the mission of Visions and Voices, in supporting the arts.”

Román was invited by Dornsife Dean of Diversity and professor of history George Sanchez to moderate the conversation with Moreno.

“Rita Moreno is a pioneer and a living legend,” Román said. “Her presence at USC demonstrates our commitment to excellence and diversity.”

Moreno recounted her daunting move to New York City as a young Puerto Rican girl who spoke no English and was marginalized by her peers.

“I ran home from school every day to avoid the gangs of kids calling me names, and later, I would run from myself,” Moreno said. “I was the niña whose skin was too dark, whose hair was too curly. I realized that people thought something was wrong with me, and what do you do when reality hits? You dream.”

Moreno knew early on she wanted to be in show business, and the industry soon recognized her talent. After landing a seven-year contract with MGM Studios at age 17, though, she was often typecast for her ethnicity.

“The roles I played objectified minority women,” Moreno said. “We were portrayed as ignorant, unable to read and write, and morally bankrupt. We were usually a white man’s mistress. It was degrading, but in those times, it was to pay the rent.”

By the 1960s, Moreno became a civil rights activist as well. She spoke for political causes and participated in the March on Washington, even coming within 15 feet of Martin Luther King Jr.

“I began to see myself as a bigger part of the picture than just entertainment,” Moreno said. “I was becoming a public figure as well, so it wasn’t just about me and my own troubles anymore.”

One of Moreno’s most iconic and life changing roles was Anita in the Robert Wise and Jerome Robbins’ film adaptation of the Broadway musical West Side Story.

“Becoming Anita would alter my trajectory and change my life and my career forever,” Moreno said. “I discovered I could actually be a person of strength, and it became a personal mission for me outside of that role.”

Those in attendance included faculty, alumni and students.

“I was interested in attending the event because I am involved in theater and Rita Moreno not only had an amazing performance in West Side Story, but is one of the most successful people in entertainment,” said Ezie Nguyen, a freshman majoring in human biology.

Now 82, Moreno remains active in entertainment. Since 2000, she has released a jazz album under the American record label Varèse Sarabande in addition to playing recurring roles in TV shows such as the drama Law and Order: Criminal Intent and the sitcom Happily Divorced.

“She is such an inspiration,” Lynch said. “It’s great that someone her age is still doing what she loves and is willing to share her passion with the Trojan family.”

Moreno’s career has now spanned more than six decades, and she insisted to the audience she is not finished yet.

“Every day is a new adventure,” Moreno said. “I think of all the things I have to accomplish, and I do them. I often remind myself of the phrase, ‘No spirit is ever diminished by a passion for life.’”