WSU win showed Trojans’ character

There is nothing quite like a trip to Pullman, Washington to remind you of the stuff that makes college football special. Sometimes, all it takes is a visit to the most remote locale in the Pac-12 to rediscover the real spirit of the game.

USC’s matchup against Washington State on Saturday wasn’t anything spectacular. The Trojans played a solid game on both sides of the ball, decisively beating an inferior team. The Trojans came out a bit sloppy, but overall performed admirably. In less-than-stellar weather conditions, they stretched the field vertically and connected on explosive plays.

More impressive than all of that though, was the simple fact that USC came out and dominated the game from start to finish. Coming off a tough loss to Utah, the Trojans could have folded. Instead, they came out energized and focused. There is something to be said about the mental toughness of the players to avoid the letdown and keep their slim but existent dreams for a Pac-12 South title alive.

Though all of that speaks to the character of this Trojan squad, for the most part the game was nondescript. Yet even in the mundane there were moments to be treasured. It started in the aftermath of a gruesome leg injury to Washington State quarterback Connor Halliday. As he was being lifted onto the stretcher, USC’s redshirt junior quarterback Cody Kessler and senior linebacker Hayes Pullard came on to the field to offer a measure of comfort to a clearly agonized Halliday.

It’s moments like those that put the game into perspective. Halliday’s career most likely ended on that play. As a senior with low draft prospects, Halliday experienced quite possibly the worst way to end one’s career. With the distractions of the game swirling around, Kessler still had the presence of mind to recognize this and go over to a fellow Pac-12 quarterback. I don’t think there are that many players in college football who would have done that.

That type of sportsmanship is something often overlooked in the heat of battle. With the commercialization college ball, we as fans are so focused on the playoff and the play calling that we all sometimes forget that at the end of the day it’s just college kids out on the field having fun. I’m as guilty of this as anyone, taking the game of football for granted as a fan. Sometimes, it’s moments like those that demonstrate the true nature of the game.

The weekend in Pullman was full of them. Washington State hasn’t been truly relevant since the turn of the century. Yet, even with temperatures falling to the mid-40s and a decent amount of rain falling, fans made the trek from all across the state to watch the Cougars. That dedication is pretty incredible. Comparatively it makes rooting for USC, which at times can seem ulcer-inducing, seem like a pretty sweet gig.

In the heart of Los Angeles, with rare or non-existent bad weather, USC game days are always phenomenal. No matter who the opponent is, there is a good chance that USC will come away with the victory. This healthy dose of optimism around the program is something not felt in Pullman. It’s probably not felt at hundreds of schools around the country, and until you’re exposed to it, it’s hard to fathom how that is even a possibility.

This season for USC probably won’t end in roses, and that qualifies as a disappointment for many fans, especially when the team has been so close in its losses. Yet for some teams, the mere thought of the Rose Bowl and national contention would qualify as a tremendously successful season.

Just like everything else, being a fan is relative. USC is accustomed to success on the gridiron. They don’t call us “Arrogant Nation” because of modest expectations. So it probably doesn’t make sense to compare our situation to that of Washington State’s fan base. Even so, it’s a nice reminder every once in a while that things could be much, much worse.

After the sanctions and the coaching changes and all the drama, USC is still a pretty good football team. A team that is not elite, not yet anyway, but still solid with a chance to win every game. A team led by a rapidly developing quarterback, who is also a great leader and competitor. A team filled with young talent at every position with its best days ahead of them.

Memories fade, and this feeling will dissipate fairly quickly if USC can’t beat UCLA or Notre Dame. Even so, it’s nice to be reminded sometimes of what makes college football count. The character of the players and the enduring belief that your team has a good chance to win any game it plays are often overlooked as Trojan fans. Yet, that’s what really makes the rooting experience great. Sometimes, all that it takes is a trip to Pullman to remember that.

Jake Davidson is a sophomore majoring in accounting. His column, “Davidson’s Direction,” runs Mondays.