Statewide plastic bag ban has been long overdue

“Paper or plastic?”

For customers, the answer “plastic” is almost instinctive — after all, nearly 14 billion plastic bags are distributed annually in California alone. But following the recent passage of SB-270, which outlaws single-use plastic shopping bags statewide, consumers will soon face new options: bring their own bag or pay 10 cents for a paper one. The city of Los Angeles already adopted the ban this year. It was effective in large grocery stores and markets as of Jan. 1, and in smaller businesses as of July 1.

According to a new USC Dornsife/Los Angeles Times poll, six in 10 Californians support the statewide bag ban, and rightfully so — plastic bags have long been a menace to the environment, and this ban should be openly embraced as an easy solution.

The law takes effect for major grocery chains and pharmacies in July 2015 and will expand to convenience and liquor stores in July 2016. Under the law, stores must replace free plastic bags with recycled paper bags or bags made from compostable material, with a 10 cent fee for shoppers. Shoppers are also encouraged to bring their own reusable bags from home.

Nearly 13 percent of the municipal waste stream is comprised of plastics, including nonbiodegradable plastic bags — which frequently litter waterways, parks and sidewalks — and present a choking hazard to wildlife. The seemingly harmless grocery bags that many consumers use regularly actually have a considerable impact on the environment.

Considering these negative effects, it’s surprising that plastic bags weren’t eliminated years ago. Plastic bags are practically pointless and don’t have any special grocery-carrying powers; they serve the same function as any other bag in simply carrying goods. The only thing plastic bags can do that reusable bags can’t is cause excessive pollution.

Plastic bag pollution has an easily identifiable source — stores. In turn, it has an easily identifiable solution — stopping the distribution of these bags. SB-270 effectively shifts the focus to completely preventing the problem.

Some opponents claim that this outright ban isn’t fair to low-income shoppers, since alternative options involve either paying 10 cents per paper bag or purchasing reusable bags. These opponents, however, completely overlook the fact that the 10 cent paper bag charge will be waived for shoppers relying on the state’s food assistance program.

The readily available replacements to plastic bags are precisely what make the new legislation easy to put into practice. For other environmental issues, the time isn’t right for preventive legislation because there simply isn’t a viable replacement for the harmful product. For example, despite the significant contribution of vehicles to air pollution, the state couldn’t fairly ban gas-powered cars because there isn’t an affordable, highly available alternative yet. On the other hand, in the case of plastic bags, it’s a simpler transition: Shoppers still get bags from stores — they’re just no longer made out of plastic.

Considering the law’s clear benefits and easy implementation, it’s a wonder that 35 percent of voters still oppose the law. Much of this opposition stems from plastic bag companies themselves, who claim the ban will cause job losses. These opponents fail to realize that though the market for single-use, nonbiodegradable plastic bags will shrink, the demand for recycled plastic bags and reusable bags will grow.

In fact, lawmakers already accounted for the ban’s possible impact on the economy; the law allocates $2 million “for the purposes of providing loans for the creation and retention of jobs and economic activity in this state for the manufacture and recycling of plastic reusable grocery bags that use recycled content, including postconsumer recycled material.” The USC Dornsife/L.A. Times poll found that “Voters whose communities had already instituted plastic bag bans were more likely to support the statewide ban, with 69 percent in favor and 28 percent opposed.”

This suggests that residents who still oppose the ban might be doing so because they are not used to the new regulation. The plastic bag ban doesn’t ask much from California residents; it requires just a simple adjustment, a minor inconvenience, if that. Over time, residents will adjust, and the plastic bag will be nearly forgotten.

So why wait? As the first state to implement this ban, California has the opportunity to set an example for other states, sparking a national shift away from plastic bags. With the majority of residents supporting the bag ban, and the legislation set to take effect in just a few months anyway, Californians should obey the ban now, on their own accord. By embracing the bag ban, Californians can show that the ban is not just effective — it’s also popular. Until July, the “paper or plastic?” question served as a test of the plastic ban’s support. But now, “plastic” is not the correct answer.

1. Stopfoodtax smith
    Stopfoodtax smith says:

Its a buy your own bag bill. You can use the banned bag you just have to buy it by the box. The other choice is a thicker plastic bag or paper. The reusable bag comes with it’s own set of problems. You have to use it at least 131 to equal the footprint of one plastic bag. That doesn’t even include the energy used to wash it, most people don’t.
    The profit in this is a lot. That is who is supporting the ban. They even keep the fee. Nothing goes to even pick up litter.
    The dorn poll is a joke. Look it up, they didn’t poll that many people and the question was loaded. Not a good representation of all of California.
    The only green part of this bill is in your wallet.

2. Liberty Minded
    Liberty Minded says:

The ban is another erosion of freedom. There are negative unforseen consequences already coming to light in the cities with bans. Like, bacteria incubators that are reusable bags. This ban may be great for the environment and natural things like the spread of disease.

3. Jack Wilkerson
    Jack Wilkerson says:

Plastic garbage bags have a profit margin far north of 10% net. Plastic Grocery bags that are reused for trash at a rate of 83% have a profit margin around 1 to 3% net. The only bag companies that oppose the ban are those without trash can liner converting lines after the extruder. All others will make a windfall in profits. Just like what happened in Ireland. Plastic Bag production of all types measured by the lb. is up 70%. Who wins now? Both plastic bag types end up in the landfill. If all the reporters in the state had read a real Environmental Impact Statement before the “ban”, maybe life would not be tough on the working poor who need those “free” bags that cost less than 2 cents for stores to provide. The working poor do not qualify for free bags to Food Stamp customers. Now California has mandated Sweat Shop production of reusable bags and labor abuse. California has mandated maximum polluting paper bags as an alternate. Deforestation on a grand scale with massive land, air, and water pollution included. California has mandated windfall profits for Grocery stores that earn a higher margin on bag sales than anything else in the store. San Francisco has the most the experience with bag bans and their food poisoning levels have jumped dramatically. Reusable bags are just plain dirty after a few weeks of use. Plastic bags are sterilized in production. What about the other Internet Myths? Do responsible fact checking. Plastic bags don’t last 1,000’s of years. They don’t last 1,000’s of hours outside. Try it in your backyard. When was the last time you saw a free range Blue Walmart bag in the field. The color they used 18 months ago. They crumble to dust and microbes consume the result. Plastic bags are NOT toxic. FDA food safe and inert polyethylene plastic. Plastic bags are usually made of waste natural gas polymerized into plastic. I bicycle to town for all shopping and errands. I see a shopping bag as litter once every 3 to 4 months. They don’t register in the top 20 items from litter surveys. “Life Cycle Assessment of Supermarket Carrier Bags” – The latest EIS by the UK Environment Agency. It is a real EIS with no agenda.

4. M2000
    M2000 says:

So by banning plastic bags….all you folks have really done was increase people using garbage plastic bags for trash…..