Josh Shaw reinstated prior to UCLA game

The USC football team was back on the practice field on Tuesday morning, just four days before a crosstown showdown with archrival UCLA. Saturday’s game carries serious Pac-12 implications, as both the No. 11 Bruins (8-2, 5-2 Pac-12) and the No. 24 Trojans (7-3, 6-2) still have a chance to capture the conference’s South division. For the third consecutive year, the two rivals are each ranked in the AP Top 25. Unfortunately, in what has been a recurring theme at USC this season, off-the-field issues have begun to dominate the week’s headlines.

Get it Shawty · Senior cornerback Josh Shaw, who was suspended from all team activities after admitting that he lied to the school about spraining his ankles while saving his nephew, was reinstated on Tuesday. - Ralf Cheung | Daily Trojan

Get it Shawty · Senior cornerback Josh Shaw, who was suspended from all team activities after admitting that he lied to the school about spraining his ankles while saving his nephew, was reinstated on Tuesday. – Ralf Cheung | Daily Trojan

The Shaw goes on

USC officially reinstated senior cornerback Josh Shaw on Tuesday afternoon, per a press release from the school’s sports information department. Shaw sustained two high ankle sprains a week before USC’s season opener against Fresno State but was suspended from the team indefinitely after it was revealed that he had lied about jumping from a second-floor balcony to save his drowning nephew.

The Palmdale, California, native issued an explanation of his injuries last week, telling Bill Plaschke of the Los Angeles Times that he leapt from his third-floor balcony after police responded to a domestic dispute involving Shaw and his girlfriend. Shaw maintained that he never used physical violence, a claim that was seemingly confirmed when the Los Angeles District Attorney’s Office declined to press charges. This development was a crucial part of the school’s decision to lift Shaw’s suspension.

“For several months, local authorities have been investigating the August 23 incident involving Josh Shaw,” Athletic Director Pat Haden said in his statement. “They have now concluded that investigation and determined that no action will be taken against him.”

Haden also revealed that an internal investigation cleared Shaw of any wrongdoing.

“USC also conducted its own internal investigation of Josh [Shaw], evaluating both Athletic Department code of conduct and potential NCAA compliance issues,” Haden said. “Based on these investigations and their conclusions, and the 10-game suspension Josh has served for code of conduct violations, we have made the decision to reinstate him.”

Shaw, who was voted a team captain before the season began, was projected to anchor the Trojans’ young secondary going into the season. His role going forward is unclear, though he will practice and attend team meetings.

“I’ve welcomed Josh Shaw back to the team,” head coach Steve Sarkisian said. “I’m now in the process of evaluating how Josh can contribute to the team’s success.”

Buck the trend

After a 50-0 beatdown of the Bruins in 2011, USC has fallen to UCLA in consecutive seasons for the first time since 1997-1998. The series has been a back-and-forth struggle since 1990, with the Trojans winning 13 of 24 matchups. Sarkisian, who went 6-1 against the Bruins in two stints as an assistant coach, has been impressed by the quality of both teams over the rivalry’s history.

“That’s what makes rivalries great,” Sarkisian said. “If [both teams don’t win] it wouldn’t really be a rivalry. But I try not to focus on historical trends or patterns or anything like that.”

One difference between this year’s Trojans and the team that fell to UCLA at home last season is the continued development of redshirt junior quarterback Cody Kessler, who received praise from his head coach on Tuesday morning.

“[Kessler]’s been extremely efficient,” Sarkisian said. “He’s throwing the ball on time to the right people with accuracy. The end result is that he’s got really good numbers.”

USC’s ground game, led by redshirt junior tailback Javorius “Buck” Allen, has also put up stellar numbers this season. The unit struggled in last Thursday’s 38-30 win over Cal, however, leading Sarkisian to implement some changes.

“I think our patience needs to be better to allow our blocking schemes to occur,” Sarkisian said. “I also feel like Buck [Allen] has gotten a little bit high, almost searching for the run, rather than allowing it to happen. So that’s been a point of emphasis for us.”

Quick hits

Shaw is no longer a team captain, so the block “C” will be removed from his jersey for the team’s remaining games.

Freshman tight end Bryce Dixon returned to practice this week, but has not yet been cleared to play. Dixon missed last Thursday’s game against Cal after a non-academic, conduct-related incident involving another student.

Freshman safety John Plattenburg, who missed the Cal game with a thigh injury, was not limited at Tuesday’s practice.

Senior linebacker J.R. Tavai took reps on Tuesday. Tavai, who injured his knee against Utah, is expected to see his first game action in nearly a month against UCLA.

Finally, the Trojans made their debut in the newest College Football Playoff rankings at No. 19. The Bruins rose to No. 9.