In immigration speech, Obama outlined a plan that falls short

President Barack Obama’s speech on immigration overhaul last Thursday didn’t do much to further the conversation. Though the plan he outlined has its merits, the greatest weakness is that no matter how impactful, it’s still only temporary.

Lili Scarlet Sedano | Daily Trojan

Lili Scarlet Sedano | Daily Trojan

In a controversial act that has some critics crying abuse of powers, Obama took executive action by deferring deportation for almost 5 million undocumented immigrants currently living in the country. “[W]e’re going to offer the following deal,” he said. “If you’ve with been in America more than five years. If you have children who are American citizens or illegal residents. If you register, pass a criminal background check and you’re willing to pay your fair share of taxes, you’ll be able to apply to stay in this country temporarily without fear of deportation. You can come out of the shadows and get right with the law.”

At a glance, it seems like a sound plan, but by what logic will Obama be able to say, “This many and no more?” Fast-forward 26 months when a new president will occupy the White House, and Obama’s actions seem all the more transient.

The measures were also worded in a deceptively promising  way. “All we’re saying is we’re not going to deport you,” Obama said. According to the Associated Press, that’s not all that will happen. The changes will also make those covered eligible for work permits, allowing them to compete with citizens and legal residents for jobs.

Obama would also have done better by giving Congress a chance to take up immigration reform instead of issuing an executive action himself. One option going from here would be for Congress to, as Obama said, “Pass a bill.” But that’s easier said than done. The more practical options are grimmer. Congress will most likely either shut down the government, prevent the president from carrying out his order by withholding funding or use Obama’s actions as an excuse to do nothing over issues like tax reform. Republicans are already considering defunding Obama’s proposed immigration reforms with legislation.

Many other aspects of this broken immigration system have been left unsolved after Obama’s speech. For one, while there will be temporary protection from deportation for undocumented immigrants who came to America as children — “Dreamers,” as they’re often known — the parents of these individuals won’t be included under Obama’s executive action, according to The New York Times. The number of unaccompanied minors crossing the border was also trivialized in Obama’s speech. “Although this summer there was a brief spike in unaccompanied children being apprehended at our border, the number of such children is actually lower than it’s been in nearly two years,” he said. It wasn’t just a “brief spike” — the numbers have been on the rise since 2011, according to the AP. In addition, the overcrowded conditions of detention centers that led Obama to call the lack of space an “urgent humanitarian situation” a few months ago wasn’t mentioned in the discussion about reform either.

Clearly, though Obama’s speech had all the usual marks of a political piece — anecdotes about the hardworking immigrant-dreamer and appeals to American ideals of equality and opportunity — many glaring issues still remain. Whether or not it’s a violation of power, Obama’s executive action is only a Band-Aid over a wound that will continue to fester for years to come.

Valerie Yu is a junior majoring in English. She is also the editorial director of the Daily Trojan. “Point/Counterpoint” runs Tuesdays.