Marshall to offer masters in marketing

Beginning in the summer 2015 term, the Marshall School of Business will be offering a new Master of Science degree in marketing. The latest addition to a series of  Specialized Masters Programs offered through the school, the M.S. in marketing will offer a chance for students to hone in on advanced skills that are needed day-to-day in the business.

The program will take one year of full-time study to finish or 21 months part time, meaning the first students to finish the program will graduate in May of 2016. The degree is made up of 10 courses, including a core of three required courses and seven other courses. In total, this adds up to about half the course load of the full time M.B.A. program offered through Marshall.

According to Diane Badame, academic director of the full-time M.B.A. program and professor of clinical marketing, the program is particularly attractive to individuals who are already active in the workforce but want to bring their marketing skills and knowledge to a higher level. Many students prefer the relatively short amount of time it takes to graduate from this program in comparison to the M.B.A. program. With fewer credits needed to graduate, the program also costs only half as much as the M.B.A., an attractive feature for many young professionals.

Though Marshall offers programs of study for undergraduates who are interested in marketing, Badame said that in many cases, an undergraduate degree is not enough.

“There’s a real need for people to have more expertise in marketing,” she said. “Employers want more advanced skills than those taught in undergraduate programs, as these are becoming increasingly important. Marketing drives profit, and that keeps a business running.”

Because of this demand from employers, the administration at Marshall decided to spearhead the new program. The idea was first developed in August of this year and was approved just two months later. Currently, Marshall is making an effort to reach out to former students through USC’s alumni publications to spread the word about the program.

Though programs like the M.S. in marketing have been offered at institutions around the world for many years, Marshall’s program will have certain qualities that won’t readily be found elsewhere. Because of the university’s numerous professional schools and colleges, students in the M.S. marketing program will have the unique advantage of choosing an area in their studies. Students can choose to take classes in the School of Cinematic Arts or the Annenberg School for Communication and Journalism in order to really specialize in the area that most benefits them.

“I think it’s the interdisciplinary approach that will really set our master’s program apart. Not every school has access to a world-class film school, for example, but our students will have the opportunities to really delve in on an area of their choosing,” Badame said.

Currently, the program is accepting applications for its inaugural class. It is suggested that applicants have two years of experience in the workforce prior to attending the program, which will take place on campus until the summer of 2017. After that point, the program will be offered online exclusively.