USC feels slighted by NCAA

After making it through four years of harsh sanctions that included a two-year postseason ban and a loss of 30 scholarships, the USC football team thought it was ready to move on and start a new era.

That is until last Friday, when the NCAA announced that it would be restoring 112 formerly vacated wins to Joe Paterno and the Penn State Nittany Lions. This announcement came less than a year after the NCAA lifted Penn State’s four-year bowl ban after just two years and restored full scholarships for the program starting in 2015.

You’ve got to be kidding me.

Restoring the scholarships and allowing postseason play is one thing -— the current players had nothing to do with the horrible injustices that took place in Penn State facilities years ago -— but restoring wins to a man who hid these atrocities is flat-out wrong.

Initially, NCAA President Mark Emmert came down hard on the storied football program. Following the arrest of former defensive coordinator Jerry Sandusky for sexual misconduct with minors that took place at Penn State facilities, Emmert handed the Nittany Lions a four-year bowl ban, took away 40 scholarships over the next five years and mandated that the university pay $60 million to charities and foundations that advocate for young children who are victims of sexual abuse.

After two short years, the NCAA Infractions Committee had a change of heart, restoring scholarships and lifting the postseason ban. Now with the NCAA restoring Paterno’s wins, Emmert will need to answer a lot of questions.

Every USC fan reading this column is asking the same question: how could a program that hid sexual misconduct get off easier than us?

First off, USC was rightly punished for what happened some 10 years ago. Under Pete Carroll, USC’s administration became too easygoing and often looked the other way when it came to a winning football program. However, the NCAA tried to use the Trojans as an example to help prevent other schools from following suit.

The NCAA handed down a two-year postseason ban and a loss of 30 scholarships over three years on the Trojans, thinking they would see nothing worse. Well, they were wrong. Drastically wrong. And instead of handing out similar punishments for worse crimes, the NCAA has done the exact opposite.

By the time the sanctions finally ended this past season, USC had watched the NCAA basically slap the wrists of other universities that committed infractions much worse than the Trojans.

Ohio State only faced a one-year bowl ban after it was proven that quarterback Terrelle Pryor took benefits for memorabilia. The University of Miami was only given a reduction of nine scholarships over three years after a former booster admitted that he paid players in the early 2000s.

Athletic Director Pat Haden appealed to the NCAA Infractions Committee on multiple occasions to no avail, and he let his displeasure be known following the Penn State decision.

“Well, it’s too late,” Haden said.  “At this point, I know USC fans and I feel this way, too, when we see other programs around the country get relief or less penalty than we received, you feel abused and upset.”

The NCAA restoring 112 wins to Penn State is really just the icing on the cake.

The two situations are almost incomparable. This decision only highlights the troubles in college athletics’ governing board.

There might be some closure later this month when a judge is set to rule on a case involving former running backs coach Todd McNair, in which the NCAA is accused of concealing emails that suggest they made up evidence. I suggest every USC student pay attention to the decision set for Feb. 2.

So while news of Penn State’s wins being reinstated might bring out old feelings, it is time for USC to move on.

Nick Barbarino is a junior majoring in business administration. His column “Beyond the Arc” runs Fridays.

1. M. Agrippa
    M. Agrippa says:

Blame Haden’s feckless appeasement strategy. USC’s Hollywood charm offensive had them laughing their heads off at NCAA headquarters. The school was the embodiment of “Fight On” simply rolled over.

2. This Guy
    This Guy says:

“First off, USC was rightly punished for what happened some 10 years ago. Under Pete Carroll, USC’s administration became too easygoing and often looked the other way when it came to a winning football program.”

I can’t believe I just read that. “Rightly punished”? Really? Do you even go here? I’m truly flabbergasted by this column.

• M. Agrippa
      M. Agrippa says:

Just like our weak kneed President and A.D.
      Millennial “Trojans” don’t Fight On, they lodge a complaint and roll over.
      Thank God the Football Team is immune from this malaise.

3. Pam Mason
    Pam Mason says:

“Ohio State only faced a one-year bowl ban after it was proven that quarterback Terrelle Pryor took benefits for memorabilia.”

That is innacurate. You need to check why Ohio St. received a bowl ban and the other punishments besides the ban.