Students divided over merits of small and big concerts

From Woodstock to Live Aid and Coachella to Lollapalooza, the festival craze has survived for generations. Chances are that most of you reading this have donned glittery face paint and braved epic weather conditions to swarm around in massive mosh pits at a music festival you saved for months to attend. But amid all the hype, how do festivals compare to small concerts?

“In high school, I used to go to tiny concerts like every week at small venues like the Troubadour because I enjoyed the intimacy between the audience and musicians. There’s like a connection between everyone in the room because it’s such a small crowd, and you know that everyone’s there for the music,” said Kristen Jan, a freshman majoring in business administration. “I feel like festivals are more for having a good time with your friends.”

This seems to be the consensus among music lovers. Small concerts play host to the truly passionate fans — look around the venue, and you’ll see lyrics tattooed on limbs and band shirts that are torn from wear. Small concerts allow for an intimacy that is missing at large festivals. (Plus, the truly hopeful stand a better chance of meeting band members after the gig, which is the first step in completing the marrying-a-band-member-fantasy everyone has.)

Without getting too sentimental, the small concert is for the music. It’s the music that made you stay holed up in your room for days listening to songs on repeat. It’s the music that caused you to fail your midterm because your mind was filled to the brim with lyrics. It’s the music that you’ve cried and danced to, and manically forced your friends to listen to. Small concerts are your chance to bring that soundtrack to life. If a small concert is done right, you don’t remember withwhom you went with or what you wore — all you remember is the way the music enveloped you in a rhythmic cocoon. Not to mention the fact that your wallet will probably thank you for choosing a $30 ticket over the cost of a festival multi-day pass, lodging, food, flower crowns and whatever drinks you end up consuming.

“I feel better supporting the people who can’t book huge gigs like music festivals. You get a lot more in touch with your local community and into your local arts scene,” said Hannah Cruz, a sophomore majoring in American studies and ethnicity, on why she prefers small concerts.

This isn’t to say that festivals don’t have their redeeming qualities as well. Large festivals are a whirlwind of wacky shenanigans permanently seared into your memory way after your grandchildren graduate college. Every band you’ve ever loved or just heard for 10 seconds on the radio is suddenly all in one place and ready to make you dance or sway.

Megan Elischer, a senior majoring in theater, has been to Coachella, EDC Orlando, EDC Las Vegas, Beyond Wonderland, Nocturnal Wonderland, Escape from Wonderland, all HARD events and various other electro festivals around L.A.

“Festivals are an immersive experience. The people create a vibe, you have more time to explore things and interact with people,” Elischer said. “I feel like I can form stronger bonds with people at festivals than I can during three hours at a show … It’s a great place to find new music. I like the idea of masses of people gathering for one big experience. I like seeing a sea of 30,000 people moving to the same beat,” she said. “I feel that’s something that’s very rare. I think that festivals provide a good opportunity to become music enthusiasts. You can see a band that you’ve never heard of and say ‘Oh OK, I think these guys are awesome. I’m going to start listening to them.’ In that way too, it provides an opportunity for people to expand their likes. They can get new tastes.”

And while festivals can be a huge payoff, they also come with consequences. Apart from the cost, there’s still the hours upon hours smashed up against thousands of other people who are just as sweaty as you are. You’ll meet some incredibly interesting souls, but unfortunately, you’ll also run into the inevitable pack of bros who drank way too much and are probably too wasted to legally walk.

For Cruz, it’s not just the upsides of small concerts but also the downsides of festivals that draw her away from the latter.

“Festivals have too much happening,” she said. “Too much spectacle, too many other things people focus on like drinking and partying, and it is too exhausting to focus on the music and appreciate as much. I always feel like I’m running around or my feet hurt or it’s too hot or I am hungry or thirsty or tired.”

But perhaps the worst part of a festival is the debilitating fear that you’re missing out on an even better performance at a different stage. With so many great bands on at the same time, you’ll always second-guess your choices.

There’s no right answer to the question of small concert or big festival; both offer their own advantages. It all boils down to what you want out of a concert. More into the experience and the atmosphere? Head over to Coachella, Lollapalooza or Glastonbury to meet new people and new bands. More interested in the music? Have a personal affair with your favorite band at an underground cafe or somewhere along the Sunset Strip. Either way, just promise that you’ll never give up on the dream of marrying the lead singer you’ve h

ad your eye on for years.