Record funds raised

USC recently passed the $4 billion threshold in its $6 billion fundraising campaign, a feat achieved only by five universities in history.

The campaign, known as The Campaign for USC and spearheaded by President C. L. Max Nikias, has a goal to raise $6 billion by June 2018. With Nikias at the helm, USC has raised the $4 billion in just four and a half years.

“I share this news with great pride and gratitude, as it represents the collective efforts and dedication of the entire Trojan Family,” Nikias said in a letter to the USC community. “With gifts coming from every corner of the world, and every constituent group in our community.”

According to Nikias, his main goal in raising the funds is to improve academics at the university. $1.4 billion of the $4 billion has been allocated to the university endowment, which helps increase student financial aid and scholarships.

“In the last four and a half years alone, this endowment has allowed us to create 77 new faculty chairs,” Nikias said. “In addition, of the money raised, $2.1 billion has advanced other academic priorities, comprising faculty research programs, research institutes, school-based programs, and the medical enterprise, including pediatric research and care.”

Nikias also noted that 2014 broke records for USC Athletics, raising an unprecedented $280 million despite the end of the NCAA sanctions this year.

Despite the achievements in fundraising, Nikias stressed the importance of continuing the momentum.

“I must emphasize that now is not the time to become complacent,” Nikias said in the letter. “We still have $2 billion left to raise, and the final stretch of any campaign is always the most difficult.”

USC has also maintained its ranking as third in fundraising among American universities, behind Harvard University and Stanford University, according to the survey done by the Council for Aid to Education.

The university raised $732 million in 2014, Stanford — last year’s top fundraiser — raised $928.4 million — and Harvard — last year’s runner-up for top fundraiser — raised $1.16 billion.