Best student clubs for fitness this semester

Kenneth Rodriguez-Clisham | Daily Trojan

The start of a new year brings resolutions of a fresh start — the desire to lead a healthier life, be mentally tough and maybe sleep a little more than you did the previous year. Sound familiar? Setting realistic goals is difficult to do, especially living in a generation like ours where we are so stop and go. Luckily, there are resources on campus to help you stay healthy and motivated this spring. One way to stay healthy, both physically and mentally, is by joining one of the many health related clubs on campus. Surrounding yourself with like-minded individuals can help promote daily health in your life.

Mindful USC. Mindful USC is a new university-wide initiative, which aims to make mindfulness practices integral to the culture of the Trojan Family. Mindfulness is described as being present, focused and aware of our day-to-day functioning, which can lead to stress reduction and workplace happiness. Mindful USC works to increase attentiveness in the classroom, deepen the quality of teaching and learning, and encourage creativity and innovation. The biggest organization/club that works to promote this are Wellness Advocates. WA’s are student volunteers who are trained to listen to, connect with, and respond to questions from their peers about wellness. They run the Student Resource Center at the Engemann Health Center and are also trained to provide skill building to reduce stress in a positive and engaging manner with student groups throughout the USC community. The WA community is one that fosters health and wellness in a positive way.

USC Yoga and Mediation Club. This club helps Trojans enhance their strength and flexibility in a fun way. It encourages members to try new techniques even if they haven’t been exposed to Yoga or Meditation before. The non-judgmental environment evokes confidence and is a light and engaging way to stay active while still feeling healthy. By combining yoga and meditation they are highlighting both our emotional and physical well-being.

USC Club Sports. USC offers a variety of sports, more than 58, and are geared for athletes who are competitive and want to enjoy athletics in college, but not on as high of a level as a varsity team. Most club sports practice 2-3 times per week with games every few weekends. It is a great way to stay healthy, but still be able to focus your energy in other places.

NAMI, National Allience on Mental Illness. Their main goal is to help build better lives for college students struggling with mental illness. NAMI advocates for access to services, treatment, supports and research on campus and is an open and safe place for students to discuss mental health topics. Similar to it is another mental health advocacy organization: Active Minds at USC. Their purpose is to increase awareness among students about issues of mental health, symptoms of mental illness and available resources. They focus on shedding light to psychiatric disorders, like depression, bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, eating disorders, PTSD, and generalized anxiety disorders

“I am That Girl.” This club is one that I have recently joined and hold near and dear to my heart. ‘I am That Girl’ strives to help women transform self-doubt into self-love by providing a safe space to be lifted up and have honest conversations about things that matter. “That girl” is the best version of herself and is beautiful in every way.

Trojan Health Connection and USC Public Health Brigades. These two advocacy groups focus on educating communicates on public health topics. They aim to promote credible and meaningful advice to USC students with a pre-health emphasis and even expand their assistance past the United States Borders.

Joining any of these clubs on campus will not only make you feel whole and healthy, but more involved in life at USC.

Brittany Fleck is a sophomore majoring in human development and aging. Her column, “B-Flecksible,” runs Fridays.