USC alum finds fun groove with MTV game show

Just what would you do for some extra cash? MTV’s newest TV show Broke A$$ Game Show, hosted by USC alumnus David Magidoff, wants to find out.

What would you do? · In Broke A$$ Game Show, David Magidoff (right) partners with Derek Gaines to see just what the people of New York will do for some quick cash. Some of the challenges have included impromptu twerk-offs and eating cotton candy off the body of a friend. - Photo courtesy of MTV

What would you do? · In Broke A$$ Game Show, David Magidoff (right) partners with Derek Gaines to see just what the people of New York will do for some quick cash. Some of the challenges have included impromptu twerk-offs and eating cotton candy off the body of a friend. – Photo courtesy of MTV

Magidoff graduated from USC with degrees in creative writing and theatre. During his time at USC, he frequented comedic improv shows. Then, post-graduation, this funnyman pursued acting. Eventually, he landed his gig as a host of MTV’s own unique and ridiculous game show.

Broke A$$ Game Show follows hosts Magidoff and Derek Gaines as they traverse the streets of New York City in order to discover just what people will do for cold hard cash. This promising 30-minute show reinvents the game show genre so that the games are crazier, funnier and set in real life.

The shenangians are bolstered and framed by an improvisational display put on by the two hosts. “I improv so much of the show, along with Derek,” Magidoff said. “The show itself is probably 70 percent games, and 30 percent they just follow us, where we just do our own thing, and they just film it. I think the goal of the show is that you when you watch it, you want to hang out with Derek and I. Rather than, ‘Oh, it’s a game show that happens to be funny,’ but it’s more a comedy show that happens to have games.”

The show itself consists of Magidoff and Gaines hitting the streets of New York City to lure unsuspecting pedestrian into taking part in some outlandish games that push their personal boundaries in return for a cash reward. Instead of setting up shop in a traditional soundstage, the show is set exclusively in the street featuring fresh games like a “Twerk Off.”

Games like “Twerk Off” or “Cats Humping Streets ” are just as absurd as they sound. For example, “Twerk Off” showcases construction workers twerking to win the prize of a couple hundred dollars. “Cats Humping States” allows players the chance to win money by correctly identifying states where felines are known to mate. Overall, the show is a unique twist on typical daytime television.

In all, viewers should not expect a Jeopardy-esque TV show. Rather, this show is a combination of reality and MTV’s typical outlandish humor. Imagine shows such as Fear Factor or The Amazing Race, that incorporate MTV’s typical boundary-pushing humor, like Jackass.

Because Magidoff and Gaines are both hilarious comedians, viewers will enjoy watching their escapades in the concrete jungle. By just observing the distinct characters and people in New York City, viewers will truly enjoy Broke A$$ Game Show.

Magidoff said New York City was the perfect place to film this show.

“It really was just a big improv scene, where the setting was always New York City … to experience what it was like to just be a part of [it], like talking to a man who had 10 pigeons on him, named Snoop Birdy Bird, to playing a game where 10 people had to eat cotton candy off their friend’s body, and to where people had to dress up as sperm and had to jump into a zorb-like ball, an egg, like they had to inseminate it,” Magidoff said.

Though the show is literally all fun and games, Magidoff’s hard work propelled him to this leading role as the host. Acting requires constant auditions, rejection and discipline. Magidoff, to this day, utilizes lessons from his time at USC when he was majoring in theatere.

“I learned a lot from my USC teachers. This guy named Joe Hacker, a theater teacher, he taught a great performance for camera class,” Magidoff said. “And I still use his audition techniques to this very day, and I know from my other USC alumni friends that they do as well.”

Magidoff understands the art of struggling within the industry.  Though the business is highly competitive, Magidoff maintains a personable charisma and confidence. He is not a stranger to failure, but he understands how to cope with rejection. He said he hopes to spread this lesson to aspiring professionals in the entertainment industry.

“Professor Joe Hacker always kept the mentality that you’re never rejected. There’s just something else out there,” Magidoff said. “It’s not that they’re choosing the other guys over you, if you’re all in the final room, you’re all great … that is probably one of the most important pieces of advice I have received.”

Magidoff spoke from experience. As the founder of Monkey Butler — an international comedy show — and as an actor in a variety of shows such as UCB, iOWest, NCIS:LA, CSI, Austin & Ally and Netflix’s Richie Rich, Magidoff speaks from experience.

“I’m a relational person. I think if you don’t like people, but you want to be creative in the industry – you have to learn to like people,” Magidoff said, “You have to learn some sort of way to respect and honor them, because there are a lot of bizarre and weird people in the business. Dare I say, does that mean to learn to like yourself first?”