USC donates $1 million to Hazard Recreation Center

The Hazard Recreation Center, nestled in East Los Angeles, received a donation for $1 million from the University of Southern California to implement recreational and architectural improvements around the area.

The park is adjacent to USC’s Health Sciences Campus and serves as a local hangout spot. The recreation center includes new facility features, such as basketball courts, a children’s play area and an indoor gym.

Last week, Martha Escutia, the vice president for USC Government Relations offered the check on behalf of C.L. Max Nikias and USC. The donation ceremony proposed to the Los Angeles Parks Foundation had an attendance of more than 200 district locals.

José Huizar, Los Angeles City Councilmember of the 14th District, was among the ceremony’s large group of spectators.

Huizar aided Escutia in granting the $1 million donation. Before the donation was given, the Hazard community reached out to Huizar and USC to help provide upgrades to the park. USC’s original plan to build a connecting street from Soto Street to the HSC was withdrawn.

“I’m so proud to work with the city and the USC Government Relations and Civic Engagement teams who welcomed community dialogue,” Huizar said in a statement released by USC News. “I’m also proud to serve communities who welcomed the help to improve the lives of all who work, live, study or receive medical help around the neighborhood.”

The USC contribution will fund improvements for the park and recreation center, including additional parking spaces, tennis courts and exercise equipment. Groups helping aid renovations to the recreation center include the Hazard Preservation Committee and the City Department of Parks and Recreation.