Womens water polo has two players of the week

Youth showed its strength for the Women of Troy this week as sophomore driver Stephania Haralabidis was named Mountain Pacific Sports Federation Player of the Week, and freshman goalie Victória Chamorro was named MPSF Newcomer of the Week.

This is Haralabidis’ first Player of the Week award, but she has a history of MPSF recognition as she won Newcomer of the Week on two different occasions last year.

Haralabidis was an unstoppable force for USC this past weekend. In the semifinal game, as the No. 3-ranked Women of Troy competed against No. 11 Cal State University Northridge, Haralabidis scored five goals.  Four of them came in the first half of the game. In the championship game against No. 6 UC Irvine, Haralabidis not only notched a first-period hat trick, but she repeated her dominant scoring performance with another five goals.

Having scored two in each of Saturday’s games against Cal State East Bay and Long Beach State, Haralabidis finished the tournament with 14 total goals.

Haralabidis earned All-America Honorable Mention honors last season, her first at USC.  Haralabidis is a native of Greece who has competed on both the Junior and Senior National Teams.

With the first award of her Trojan career, Chamorro started off the season with a new personal best.  Playing in goal for the Women of Troy for all four quarters of the championship victory against No. 6 UC Irvine, Chamorro captured 15 saves — her new career best.

Chamorro played a total of 13 periods over the weekend for the Women of Troy and garnered 27 total saves.  Over her time in goal, Chamorro allowed only 11 goals during the entire tournament.

Chamorro hails from Brazil and is a member of the Brazilian National Team.

At this weekend’s Triton Invitational, USC won each game by at least five goals.  USC beat Cal State East Bay 22-4, Long Beach State 15-1, No. 6 CSUN 19-3 in the semifinals, and No. 3 UC Irvine in the championship game 10-5. The Women of Troy are undefeated this season with a record of 6-0.  Looking ahead, they will be competing in the Lancer Invitational Friday and Saturday in Riverside, California. With only three senior members on the team, the Women of Troy look to continue building their dynasty with this young talent.