Ramen at Little Tokyo’s Manichi is worth raving about

Natalie Laczewski | Daily Trojan

Natalie Laczewski | Daily Trojan

After walking down the streets of Little Tokyo and inhaling the surrounding aromas of customary Asian dishes, my friends and I narrowed down our lunch plans to a good ramen place nearby.

One of the best rated ramen places on the street had over an hour long wait, but just a few doors down we found a hub with great food and personality.

Upon walking into Manichi Ramen located off of 1st St., a man warmly welcomed us into the restaurant and explained how today, Feb. 14, was actually the restaurant’s grand opening. (A perk of walking in on opening day was sampling the Manichi Goyza for free, which are these tasty little dumplings with a mildly-spicy sauce poured over them.)

After opening three Manichi restaurants in Hawaii, the owners decided to bring the name and the food to the mainland.

The newly opened restaurant gave off a cool and hip feel and was decorated with black and red accents. Even the ceramic, imported plates and bowls were the classic “Manichi red” color. Seating is available in tables and a long booth stretches down both sides of the narrow restaurant. Bar-style seating for one (or a few) is located near the kitchen alongside the steam and chefs at work.

ramen7

Orders were served at separate times for my friends and I, and glasses of water had to be asked to be refilled-but taking into consideration that it was their first official day of work, the staff was fairly on top of everything and quick to serve and please customers.

As far as the food goes, I’m no ramen expert — but I can say my mouth watered after just inhaling the scent of the plates before us.

I ordered the regular Shiromaru Tonkotsu Shibori for $9.95 and a side of fried rice for $3.95. I was promptly served with a big bowl of broth with ramen, thinly sliced Chashu pork, green onions and bean sprouts.

ramen4

The broth was smooth and salty, the noodles firm and tender, the veggies to a perfect crispness, and the pork was very delicate and soft. (I could have used more than two slices of it.) I liked how there were multiple, different textures and flavors presented in one bowl.

ramen3

The fried rice was different from most I have tried before (I could say I’m an avid fried rice eater.) The meat was paired well with it, and I can say overall that I did like the rice, but personally I would have preferred a lighter, more authentic taste.

ramen2

The rice seemed a bit untraditional in a way and had an eggy and oily taste to it that might have weighed it down just a tad, but it was still pretty good.

My friend ordered the number one under the ramen specialties: The Manichi Special Tonkotsu Shibori Ramen for $11.95.

The creamy, spicy miso broth was not overly hot, but had a little kick to it. The dish was more diverse than the simple ramen I ordered, and it looked and tasted vibrant with an added hard-boiled egg.

ramen9

My friend also ordered the pork rice, which like with my order of fried rice, was not completely satisfying. The rice was a bit too soft again and the sauce was just okay.

As far as the pricing goes, I’d have to say it’s average. For college students, Manichi is definitely not overpriced — it would just be nice to have a side order or an appetizer included into the price of a main order. But the menu offers ramen bowl options that do come with a larger variety of foods mixed in. Additional sides like dried seaweed and fresh garlic can be ordered with your ramen as well.

Overall, the atmosphere, staff, prices and food were up to par, and I’m sure the restaurant will work out its little kinks with time. I’m no ramen expert, so it is difficult to compare Manichi’s standards to surrounding locations.

Being a fan of broth soups and Asian cuisine though, I would not mind driving back down here to enjoy a soothing and flavorful bowl of ramen again on a cooler day (if L.A. decides to act like it’s winter for once.)

Though Little Tokyo offers many authentic Ramen restaurants, if you’re looking for something tasty and average priced situated in a hip environment, (and if you’re bored of your ramen at home), I would suggest you give Manichi a try; the aroma from the kitchen is sure to draw you in upon walking by.

Natalie Laczewski is a freshman majoring in communication. Her column, “Food for Thought,” runs Wednesdays. 

ramen8