L.A.’s oasis: Bar Nine coffee

Athanasius Georgy | Daily Trojan

Athanasius Georgy | Daily Trojan

Despite an abundance of study space on and off campus, it can become difficult to find that milieu that enhances your study experience. Sometimes, you just need that ambiance and space that gets your creativity and productivity going. Oftentimes, study space is thought to be synonymous with a boring, bland room or desk, but we live in Los Angeles – there’s a certain expectation of class and sophistication in every aspect of lifestyle. Enter Bar Nine Coffee – one of L.A.’s newest members in the ever-populating independent coffee scene.

What makes Bar Nine different from other coffee shops is three-fold. First, and perhaps the best part about Bar Nine, is the fact that every day they serve a different type of coffee. You’ll never get the same cup of coffee twice in the same week, and on Sunday, you can even try all the different beans they have.

Additionally, they roast their coffee on site, right in front of you. It’s sort of taboo to see a giant coffee roaster in the middle of a cafe, but it adds a distinctive aesthetic to the design of the shop and in a sense, re-enforces the fresh taste of the coffee. Finally, Bar Nine’s location is ideal for quiet muse or study. Most of the best coffee shops reside either in the Westside or Downtown, always bustling with locals and visitors alike. Those environments are great, but juxtaposed with the quiet, neighborhood-feel of Culver City Bar Nine calls home, you begin to appreciate the remote and semi-secluded nature of a coffee shop.

Bar Nine is easily accessible from campus. Go west all the way down Jefferson Blvd and you’re there on the corner of Jefferson and Helms Ave. You can even take the Metro to Culver City Station and walk to the shop.

With its great location and tasty coffee, Bar Nine is a student oasis, bar none.

Athanasius Georgy is a sophomore majoring in economics. His column, “Food n’ Frame,” runs Tuesdays.

Athanasius Georgy | Daily Trojan

Athanasius Georgy | Daily Trojan