Unretouched photo objectifies women

An unretouched photo of 48-year-old model Cindy Crawford was leaked by journalist Charlene White this month and, unsurprisingly, went viral within hours. The image featured lingerie-clad Crawford posing for a 2013 issue of Marie Claire. Instead of the toned abs and unnaturally slim legs that usually grace magazine covers, cellulite on Crawford’s stomach and thighs is clearly visible.

Most of the comments on social media surrounding the photo have come from women, offering their support to Cindy and proclaiming this as a new platform for female empowerment. One Twitter user tweeted, “50 shades of reality. This is why #CindyCrawford holds the #SUPERMODEL title! Take a bow Ms. Crawford.” By this standard, the “evil” entertainment industry is put to shame, the female aging process is finally shown in its true light and women everywhere feel infinitely better about themselves.

When examined more closely, however, the leaked photos and subsequent social media uproar is not as empowering as it seems. First, the photo was leaked without Crawford’s consent. This act in itself defies the concept of female solidarity, given that the culprit responsible for releasing the image to the public is also a woman. Though White uses the guise of “the beauty of aging” and the truth behind Photoshop as a reason for publicizing the photo, this is far from true. By releasing images without the consent of the subject, White not only dismantles any concepts of unity between women, but also breaches fundamental rights of privacy. If Crawford had chosen to share the photo herself, the situation would be quite different; but as it stands, this is nothing more than one woman taking advantage of another. In fact, White does exactly what she claims to oppose: the objectification of women through their bodies.

The main question to consider is why people are calling this situation an example of female empowerment at all. Not only were the images presumably leaked against Crawford’s will, but the public response is also very telling. Yes, it is important that women don’t feel ashamed of their aging bodies. Though the aging body should not be seen as unattractive and embarrassing, it’s easy for a society so used to retouched photos to acknowledge it as such.

It also must be acknowledged that the real reason this image has been furiously retweeted and commented on by women, is not entirely because people feel it is a perfect example of female empowerment. However ugly and unpleasant as it is to admit, the truth is that seeing the “flaws” of someone who has always been the embodiment of flawless, unattainable beauty makes people feel better about themselves. People feel better through the reassurance that nobody really looks that perfect. Even though magazines Photoshop women until they are mere vestiges of their true selves, to see proof is not only comforting but also somehow exhilarating. Still, finding pleasure in the shortcomings of others is in no way an example of empowerment.

So what is the real issue here? It isn’t that Cindy Crawford is, in fact, a human going through the natural process of aging, nor that the photo leak is labeled as female empowerment. The real problem lies in the level of attention the photo received. It is disheartening to think that we live in a society where seeing a celebrity with cellulite is national news and that women are taught to be so ashamed of and disgusted by their bodies, even if they are perfectly healthy, that they latch onto something as small and ordinary as this. The sad reality that this — seeing a woman in her true form — is now considered extraordinary suggests something is fundamentally wrong with how the female body image is being shaped.

Of course, this isn’t a new idea. The fashion, media and entertainment industries have been under fire for many years now for the unreasonable and unhealthy image of bodily perfection that they promote. Just because this is an idea that everyone has heard before, however, does not mean it should be forgotten. If the most empowering thing women can find is a photo of a supermodel in her underwear, there is still a long way to go.