What’s Meghan Trainor all about? Hint: More than just “that bass.”

David Wang | Daily Trojan

David Wang | Daily Trojan

“Raise your hand if you are beautiful.”

“Raise your hand if you are different.”

— Meghan Trainor

From Feb. 20 to 21, Meghan Trainor brought her “That Bass Tour” to Los Angeles at the El Rey Theatre with the Australian band, Sheppard, opening for her. Despite having released her debut album just over a month ago, Trainor sold out both days of her show easily. That, however, does not come as a surprise, considering that her hit single, “All About That Bass,” was nominated for Record of the Year and Song of the Year for the 2015 Grammy Awards.

David Wang | Daily Trojan

David Wang | Daily Trojan

If you managed to snag a ticket to either of the shows, you’ve probably figured out by now that Meghan Trainor is more than just “that Bass.” I was wondering how such a new artist could have the kind of following that Trainor does, but it was obvious once she walked out on stage. From start to finish, she exemplified the charm, dazzle and charisma that her bubblegum pop debut album presents. She had toddlers, teenagers, moms and grandmas’ lips and hips moving along with her. Not only did she appeal to women of all ages, but men were also rocking along to the beat.

It’s been a while since we’ve had an artist that can achieve that kind of relatability with such a diverse demographic. She inspired cheers all around, empowering women through her emphasis on beauty and identity. The positive energy carried from the energized hit singles to her slow, heartfelt ballads.

Speaking of which, she followed shouts of encore with “What If I,” a choice that seemed a little unconventional being a ballad and all. Yet, as expected, she finished it off strong with an excellent performance of “All About That Bass.”

After the concert ended, amidst swarms of teenagers waiting for their rides and adults for their valeted cars, I overheard audience members raving about their experience. One parent-daughter duo had driven over an hour and a half to see Trainor in concert. Another didn’t mind that it was a school night for her twelve-year-old daughter. Everybody loved the concert and got way more than what they expected. For any artist to pull off what Meghan Trainor has is more than a simple feat.