Your social media guide to staying connected at USC

Photo courtesy of flickr.com

Photo courtesy of flickr.com

A walk through campus isn’t really a walk unless you pass an event, sale or fair that you didn’t know about. How is it possible to stay updated with all the things that happen here at USC? This social media guide is here to help, though there are no promises on solving the mystery that is knowing when the next time free Nesquik will be passed out by Annenberg. Here’s how to stay in the know:

1. Like USC Program Board on Facebook. This page, which boasts over 5,000 likes, shares with students all types of important information, from “Free Food Alerts” to the locations of events like APASA’S volleyball tournament this Saturday. Program Board consists of 15 assemblies and committees such as the Concert Committee, the Special Events Committee, and Trojan Pride.
  2. Follow @USC_Athletics on Twitter. Tweets by this account are perfect for both sports lovers and spirited Trojans. Not only does it inform its followers of upcoming sporting events, but it also reports on game results and shares facts about USC athletes and alumni.
  3. Check out @Humans_ofUSC on Instagram. Our very own students created this page, inspired by Brandon Stanton’s work with Humans of New York, to share interesting stories and sentiments from fellow Trojans. Browse the photos to learn more about the student body and what they have to say.
  4. Follow the Trojans360 Tumblr. This student-run blog does it all – it answers questions submitted by other Tumblr users, tells followers about upcoming on-campus events, and writes posts on all things college (especially those that are USC related).
  5. Join the “Free and For Sale” group on Facebook. Unlike most groups on Facebook, this one is pretty exclusive – students must enter a valid USC email before they can join. This group is most useful for knowing about moving sales and buying well-priced household items, as well as cars, cameras and clothes. Don’t be afraid to tag a friend in a post if you see something you think they might need!
  6. Follow @USCedu on Instagram. This page, which is the official account of the university, is perfect for daily updates about what’s happening on campus. It recently showed up on follower’s news feeds with photo reminders of events like the International Food Festival and Julie Chen’s appearance at Annenberg Hall.
  7. Check Snapchat for a Campus Story. Every so often, Snapchat compiles a campus story for USC, providing students an opportunity to submit their own photos and videos for a chance to be featured. Looking through the story allows students to see what may be happening on campus on a certain day, as well as what other students may be up to.

All in all, social media applications are some of the best places visit in order to keep updated with the happenings on campus. This guide is merely a starting point; there are endless other Facebook pages, Instagrams and blogs that you can like or follow depending on your interests.

But missing a Diddy Riese cookie sale because you just didn’t know? With the help of this guide, never again.