Netflix provides exciting streaming options

Students are in a rut. They are all in that midterm stupor, with the failed attempts at spring break dieting, living with overcast L.A. skies and blank Word documents. So there is no better time to stay in bed and forgo all obligations. Yet, instead of wasting precious procrastination hours searching YouTube, Netflix has announced an exciting lineup of newly release spring shows perfect for binge-watching or “multi-tasking” while writing that essay.

The most publicized released was season three of House of Cards. Frank and Claire Underwood are set to take on the world in this new season. The season boasts 13 episodes of political manipulation on Capitol Hill.

The series as a whole was met with wide acclaim and positive reviews, but many students have felt let down by the most recent season.

“As a huge House of Cards fan, I’ve been pretty underwhelmed by this season,” said Kiren Singh, a sophomore majoring in business administration. “It seems to be plagued by inconsequential subplots that aren’t half as clever or useful as the ones in previous seasons. Frank also doesn’t break the fourth wall nearly as much as he did in the first or second season.”

Her complaints over the new season didn’t stop there, however.

“It’s also less fun to watch because in the first two seasons, Frank was super manipulative and cunning. This season, he’s literally just doing whatever he pleases in a very controlling and sometimes in an overly emotional way. It seems more like a season to set up season four than a stand-alone.”

Many viewers would agree. This season of House of Cards was met with critically mixed reviews. The show is much less hyperbolic and dramatic, less “fun.”

Viewers find it difficult to see the future goal of the show as a whole.

“I thought the cinematography was great but the story was literally not moving forward,” said Jenny Morgan, an undeclared sophomore. “We were just watching that guy do his physical therapy for the first 20 minutes.”

Yet House of Cards’ fans will still enjoy the usual political drama behind closed doors, the witty and intellectual dialogue and the usual drama that surrounds the manipulative and secretive Underwoods. There are still some that enjoy the general narrative of the show.

“I’d say the first season was the best and it’s gotten progressively more unrealistic,” Tyler Jew, a senior majoring in business positively said. “Nonetheless it’s still a really entertaining show.

In the less dramatic genre of original series, Netflix will also be releasing a comedy original series. Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt will be released on March 6. Tina Fey is the executive producer and creator of this unique comedy, which stars Ellie Kemper, Jane Krakowski and Tituss Burgess. The story follows a young woman, Kimmy Schmidt, who breaks out of her cult’s underground bunker in Indiana after 15 years and decides to nanny for an rich woman in New York City. Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt is is a show with charm promisingly similar to that of Parks and Recreation and 30 Rock. Another original Netflix series includes, Bloodline, a thriller-drama show that will debut on Netflix on March 20.

The show takes place in the Florida Keys and features Kyle Chandler, former Friday Night Lights star. The storyline centers around the revelation of family secrets, coupled with the possible violent consequences of a long time family feud. This show could easily become a new favorite and one that one feels compelled to binge-watch.

Netflix will also be releasing non-original movies and shows to their streaming platform. TV shows include season seven of Mad Men in late March and season one of Better Call Saul in mid-April. Additionally, Netflix is planning to release comedy stand up shows. Aziz Ansari’s newest comedy spotlight, “Aziz Ansari: Live at Madison Square Garden” will be released March 6.

Newly released spring 2015 movies that will be streaming on Netflix, will come from a wide variety of genres.

Food Chains is a documentary that follows the struggles of America’s own food workers. According to the website, the movie “reveals the human cost in our food supply and the complicity of large buyers of produce like fast food and supermarkets.” Former Desperate Housewives actress Eva Longoria is one of the executive producers of this documentary.

A more light-hearted, family-friendly movie is How to Train Your Dragon 2. Teen Witch, a 1980’s cult classic, was available starting March 1.

Yet, if none of these spring releases seem that appealing, A new season of Orange is the New Black will be released on June 12 so there is just enough time to re-watch seasons one and two at least a few times.

Correction: Kiren Singh was previously referred to as a “he.” She is a woman. The Daily Trojan regrets the error.

1. Shaun Stevin
    Shaun Stevin says:

Great content coming to Netflix. I got access to more Netflix content. Luckily I found the instructions at PureVPN. Which explain exactly how to change my Netflix region