Skrillex, Diplo unite for impressive EDM album

If you’ve listened to the radio at all in the last few years, you’ve probably heard the names Diplo and Skrillex. The two DJs are among the most influential artists in their genre, with a slew of accomplishments, and their collaborative project, Jack Ü, furthers their influence in electronic dance music. Their first album as Jack Ü is self-titled; Diplo and Skrillex blend their unique styles beautifully to create tracks worthy of clubs around the world.

Skrillex has been at the top of EDM since his second release, Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites, and has influenced the popularity of the rave scene. Though he hasn’t been at the top of the charts in a while, his six Grammys are a testament to his strength and holding in the EDM genre. Skrillex is arguably the first exclusively EDM artist to get radio play, as his predecessors such as David Guetta and Swedish House Mafia provided pop songs with techno backbeats — much unlike the mechanical sound Skrillex has manufactured. His partner in Jack Ü, Diplo, is also accomplished but in a different respect.

Diplo, born Thomas Pentz, is the backbone of EDM music today. In addition to his own career as a musician, he owns and manages a major dance music label, Mad Decent, which has a traveling festival every year that features artists such as Deadmau5, RiFF RAFF and other high-profile musicians. He also has several side projects in dance music, including his reggae-inspired dance hall project Major Lazer — possibly more recognized than his own name. Diplo has been described as a head-hunter who seeks new talent in the industry. He has created a dance music empire, and he’s at the top. With this impressive experience in producing dance music, Diplo’s partnership with Skrillex is a sure-fire success.

Released during a 24-hour DJ set in Los Angeles (home for both artists), the fun and light album Diplo and Skrillex have created contains traces of both artists. The production talent and features are distinctly Diplo, and the light builds and mechanical drops are signatures of Skrillex. Considering this album is a free Soundcloud release, the features are pretty impressive. Justin Bieber, 2 Chainz, Kiesza and even the highly established Missy Elliott all lend their talents to the work, giving this album some high profile energy despite the small release.

Only one track from Jack Ü was released before the album dropped. “Take U There,” featuring Kiesza, was released months prior at the Mad Decent Block Party in August. The song marked the official launch of Jack Ü, and helped boost Kiesza’s popularity as a dance house singer. Ever since, fans have been waiting for more tracks to drop. Now on their album, Jack Ü not only give fans plenty more tracks to blast at parties, but release an alternate version of “Take U There” with a hot verse by Missy Elliott.

“Take U There,” in traditional Soundcloud fashion, was remixed by countless artists, but Missy Elliott’s version was the only one to make the album, because her verse is incredibly solid, and because she’s Missy Elliott. As the most accomplished artist on the album, Missy Elliot’s bonus track adds great publicity to an already much-hyped album.

Dance music is completely different from almost any other genre, as most EDM artists release their work freely to be remixed. This allows other DJs to gain fame and creates a collaborative environment for artists to thrive, and, as aforementioned, Diplo is the godfather of collaboration. A playlist of remixes of “Take U There” was released on Jack Ü’s Soundcloud page as well, highlighting the artists that did justice to the already impressive track, and it would be assumed that more playlists will come out featuring remixes of other tracks on Jack U, because that is the atmosphere Diplo has created with his work.

Aside from Missy Elliott’s bonus track, Justin Bieber’s feature track closes the album on a softer note. Entitled “Where Are U Now,” the track features Bieber singing slowly over only synths and piano, without a beat until the drop. The track still has the main aspects of an EDM song, but takes a slow, love song approach that is an appropriate denouement to a slew of high intensity hits.

Overall, Jack Ü’s first release is a tour-de-force in production, content and collaboration. The features are solid, the backing tracks are better and the fact that two of America’s three biggest offerings in the EDM genre (the third being A-trak) created it together is a sign of things to come. America has traditionally been left behind in EDM music, as Europe accepted the genre long before it took hold in the states, but these two artists are helping to carve out a path for American success. Diplo and Skrillex are two artists who love to have fun, and their collaboration truly reflects that. If you’re looking for an album to dance to, look no further than Jack Ü.

Matt Burke is a sophomore majoring in film production. His column, “Notes on Notes,” runs Wednesdays.