Spears could become key part of Trojans’ offense

Two months ago, Redshirt sophomore Connor Spears never would have imagined he would be thrust into his current situation. Coming into spring practice, the Trojans were set to have three tight-ends on the roster in returners Bryce Dixon and Jalen Cope-Fitzpatrick and redshirt Spears, with incoming freshman Tyler Petite. While the roster was thin, many felt that the Trojans would make it work with a three-headed attack in Dixon, Fitzpatrick and Petite.

Fast forward two months and Spears has found himself with the opportunity to grab the starting spot. The possible dismissal of Dixon and with Fitzpatrick ineligible, Spears is the only healthy tight-end on the roster. Not even USC predicted Spears would become a key part of their team. On their website, USC describes Spears “as a walk-on sophomore who will serve as a reserve tight-end in 2015.”

“It was a little crazy, coming in this spring; it was the biggest shock,” Spears said. “The situation just fell into my hands and I’m trying to make the most of it.”

After playing one year at Columbia University, Spears transferred to USC last spring as a preferred walk-on. Due to NCAA regulations, Spears was deemed ineligible and subsequently sat out the past season. This extra time allowed Spears to become acclimated to the USC program and work on some of his biggest issues: strength and blocking.

Standing at 6-foot-6, Spears is a towering force but he wasn’t always that way. In the three years since graduating high school Spears has added 50 pounds to his frame in hopes of easing the transition from Ivy league play to the Pac-12.

“It helped exponentially, being able to be on the scout team offense last year, where I was able to block guys like Leonard Williams and JR Tavai,” Spears said. “That level of competition helped me so much.”

Although he wasn’t expected to be a main part of this Trojan team, head coach Steve Sarkisian has taken notice of Spear’s hard work. The redshirt sophomore has made strides throughout this spring season and put in a really solid showing at practice on Tuesday.

“He’s got an unbelievable work ethic. He’s taken a bunch of reps and keeps fighting through it,” Sarkisian said. “He’s showing physicality, which was a concern coming in. But I just like his demeanor. Connor has had a good spring so far.”

With all the distractions surrounding him, Spears has done a great job of staying focused on improving his game.

News broke on Monday afternoon that former Oklahoma tight-end Taylor McNamara would be transferring to USC to add some depth. For now, however, Spears is focused on making the best of the opportunity in front of him.

“It’s pretty surreal. I’m not trying to think too much about it.” Spears said. “I’m trying to be like everyone else and just play football. Just block guys and catch passes.”