USG President Menard delivers State of USC address

Undergraduate Student Government President Andrew Menard delivered the State of USC Address to the USG Senate at the Ronald Tutor Campus Center on Tuesday night. The 20-minute speech recapped the accomplishments of USG’s different assemblies, but also touched on the various challenges USG faced throughout the year.

Menard described one challenge as the student body feeling a lack of transparency with the senior administration. He specifically noted an instance when President Nikias assembled his provost search committee without student involvement.

“One of the biggest universal concerns from the student body was the sentiment that the student voice has been lost,” Menard said. “From the start, I and the rest of my colleagues sought to establish a clear partnership between student government and administration.”

Menard also highlighted how issues of programming still persist. He explained that student organizations often feel the cumbersome effects of high costs on security and production.

“The Greek community feels unfairly restricted with the timing of when their events must end, and the limit of only four houses hosting events on Thursday and weekend nights, a decision by the way that was made without student input,” Menard said.

He continued to list many of USG’s achievements in advocacy, such as the changes made to the academic calendar, which extended the deadline to drop a class without a W from week three to week seven.

Other achievements included the renovation of Leavey Library, the clarification of the amnesty policy, the establishment of a free shuttle service during spring break, the development of an African American students’ house, the creation of a long-term mentorship program with local schools and the “Revamp Lyon” campaign that seeks to improve USC’s recreational facilities.

Menard then described various events held by Program Board during the 2014-15 year that drew large audiences and were popular among students.

“From comic sensation Stan Lee to the venerated civil rights activist Angela Davis, [Program Board] is helping to bring five Bovard events this year alone,” Menard said. “The [USC Concerts Committee’s] Welcome Back concert featured Norwegian phenoms Nico & Vinz in addition to electronic artist Robert DeLong, while Conquest was capped by collaborative sets from electronic-rock artist Phantogram and Grammy-award-winning rap legend Big Boi of OutKast.”

Menard explained how another set of campaigns organized by Program Board focused on sexual assault issues.

“Sexual assault and violence prevention have become an increasingly important issue on college campuses around the country, requiring a multifaceted approach,” Menard said. “USG joined President Obama’s national ‘It’s On Us’ campaign to raise awareness, education and prevention strategies around this issue. The Trojans Respect Consent campaign launched last October during the ‘National Week of Action’ and reflects an effort to present a consolidated approach to the issue.”

With regards to funding, Menard recapped the $1.50 per student increase in the student programming fee and the success of the funding boards. Menard explained that prior to the current administration, the Student Programming Fee remained at a fixed rate for six years, which he claimed placed a extensive strain on large events.

“The five funding boards … have provided over $315,000 in funding to students this year,” Menard said. “Not only do we continue to financially support iconic USC programming such as Dance Marathon and many culture shows, USG has also helped fund over 25 new student organizations and events.”

Menard concluded his address with USG’s future projects, highlighting the creation of a two-day fall break in October and the redesign of the fountain run. He addressed the highly debated fountain run event held for seniors during their spring semester before graduation.

“This has been a senior tradition for the past ten years that many Trojans have looked forward to,” Menard said. “However, due to increased 14 medical calls, laceration, outside and unwelcome visitors, sexual assault instances and extreme damages to campus and in particular to the fountain in the center of alumni park, totaling over $30,000 in damage, the University’s senior administration has made it clear that they will not allow a fountain run to occur this year,” Menard said.

Menard ended on the issue by explaining that the abolishment of the senior fountain run would result in adding an alternate interactive event for graduating seniors in order to continue to provide an interactive event for seniors graduating.

“If there can be no fountain run, then the best choice we have is to create an event that can rival the fountain run from an entertainment perspective, but mitigate the dangerous risks that thousands of students partying in fountains creates,” Menard said.

Editor’s note: This article previously stated that Menard discussed Program Board events from the 2015-16 school year. It was in fact events from the 2014-15 school year. The Daily Trojan regrets this error. 

1. Don Harmon
    Don Harmon says:

Seems good, but I don’t understand the following “accomplishment:” “…the development of an African American students’ house.” Please explain to me why that is not unfair racial segregation. Would a white students’ house be OK? No. This is an ugly step backward in social progress at USC.