Radha: A place of giving, solely for the sake of yoga

Photo courtesy of radhayogala.com

Photo courtesy of radhayogala.com

Today, it seems that everyone and their mother is doing yoga, but yoga surely does not come cheap. In cities throughout the U.S., studios like Yoga to the People are making it their mission to make yoga accessible for everyone, regardless of experience or income. These types of studios offer classes that cater to yogis of all levels, while running purely off of donations, with a suggested donation of $10. There are no memberships, registration fees, or fixed class fees — students are just asked to give what they can.

Though the Los Angeles and USC communities are certainly not new to the popularization that yoga has received as of recent, the new University Park-based studio, Radha Yoga, intends on providing yoga for the pure sake of yoga.

The small, second story studio opened its doors just a few months ago, in the building directly adjacent to popular student study spot, Nature’s Brew. Sunlight floods the room in the daytime, but provides for a calming sense of tranquility come dusk. With its hardwood floors and bare white walls, Radha’s facility remains scaled down and minimalistic. The focus is on yoga and its benefits: deep breathing, strong poses and good vibes.

For beginners and seasoned yogis alike, Radha’s mission is to provide yoga for all. In this moment in time, with yoga having been so sensationalized, studios like Radha and Yoga to the People make an effort to revive the fundamental values that yoga was built upon: the first being that everyone should be able to enjoy yoga’s benefits, and the second being that it shouldn’t drain your cash. At Radha, the emphasis is on giving what you can, in both donation and practice. Following yogi tradition, an instructor is never supposed to charge for lessons. Rather, a student is expected to offer a gift.

Classes are offered for all levels, and due to the studio’s size, students are able to receive a great deal of personal attention. The instructors at Radha make it a priority to get to know their students, whether it’s by learning their names or by familiarizing with the way they move.

Among the classes offered are Vinyasa Flow, Hatha, Sri Sri, Yin and Restorative Yoga. Some classes are more focused on rest and healing while others are more physically demanding (a full schedule with descriptions is posted online). Radha encourages that its students explore a variety of practices while finding a class that works well for them. The instructors are eager to guide beginners through their first classes and because the studio is still fairly new, classes are very small in size.

So whether you’re looking for a new studio or are looking for a pressure-free environment to take your first class, perhaps stop by Radha for a class. Mats are available for rental at $2 and yoga blocks and water is provided. Namaste!

Viviane Eng is a freshman majoring in print and digital journalism. Her column, “Among Us & Other Things,” runs Thursdays.