Republicans struggle to make political sense of Loretta Lynch’s confirmation vote

Photo courtesy of flickr.com

Photo courtesy of flickr.com

The vote to confirm Loretta Lynch as the new Attorney General has been delayed interminably and still has an uncertain result. This situation is frankly baffling as it seems like common sense for Republicans in the Senate to finally confirm Lynch and replace Eric Holder who intends to retire as soon as his replacement is appointed.

The most obvious reason why this confirmation should have been a breeze is that the Republicans simply detest Holder. From his gun control views (or “violations of the Second Amendment,” according to conservatives) to his purported tendency to use racial politics for political gain, Holder is the ire of talk radio hosts from coast to coast. Conservatives should relish the opportunity to oust him at the nearest possible date, however, the vote for Lynch’s confirmation as been delayed longer than any other vote for an Attorney General’s confirmation in the past 30 years.

The second reason why Republicans should put aside party lines and vote in Lynch is because she is almost entirely unobjectionable, even to the conservative leadership. Besides her testimony that she believes Obama’s actions regarding immigration are legal, Republicans have found little reason to oppose her. The real source of opposition comes from constituents who would associate a “yes” for Lynch as a “yes” for Obama’s policies.

To hold out for a nonpartisan political nominee, however, is ludicrous. It is unreasonable to expect a president to select an Attorney General who does not agree with him on the issues. Republicans should pull on their legislating pants, bite the bullet and vote in the woman who is most likely their best option anyway.

There are times for pandering to constituents and times for pragmatism, and Loretta Lynch’s confirmation vote falls firmly in the second camp.

Sarah Green is a sophomore majoring in economics. Her column, “Power Politics,” runs Mondays.