Women’s golf wins Classic

The No. 1 women’s golf team won the Liz Murphey Collegiate Classic for the second year in a row at the University of Georgia in Athens, Georgia, over the weekend.

The first round of the tournament began on March 27 and the Women of Troy were able to claim a spot in the winners bracket for the following two days. Junior Kyung Kim led USC with a 3-over 75 to help the team claim a spot in the winners bracket.

The top eight teams qualified to continue play the following day, and USC tied for seventh place with a combined 29-over 317. At the conclusion of the first day, USC was 16 yards behind first-place UCLA.

Kim led USC at 3-over 75, tied for seventh, with two birdies on the day while junior Annie Park tied for 11th at 4-over 76 with four birdies on the day. Freshman Amy Lee tied for 40th at 10-over while sophomore Gabriella Then tied for 48th at 12-over. Sophomore Karen Chung finished 59th at   15-over 87

Though the team struggled to qualify for the second day, the Women of Troy had a much improved showing on March 28. USC defeated UCLA 3 and 2, and Duke 4 and 1, in the quarterfinals.

Against UCLA, Lee won 5 and 4, then won 3 and 2, and Chung won 2 and 1. Against Duke, Lee won 4 and 3, Chung won 2 up and Park won 2 and 1 to win the match. Kim was leading by two holes when play was stopped.

Lee and Kim won their final matchups and the team held an 8-5 advantage on tiebreakers, having a bigger difference in matches won to edge out the Bulldogs. Lee handily won her match, 6 and 4. Kim won 2 and 1 for USC’s other point. Chung fell, two and one, as did Then, 3 and 2.

With the wins, the Women of Troy moved on to face the host team, University of Georgia, in the final round on March 29. After trailing for most of the day, the Women of Troy came from behind to win the Classic. This was their seventh top-two finish this year.