Lower Dens releases must-have third album

If you’re looking for new music to blast on your next road trip or a soundtrack to a film about the American dream, look no further than Lower Dens’s latest release, Escape from Evil. These melancholy jams are complex and moving, evoking the proverbial idea of riding off into the sunset. Adopting generations of music and mixing them together with hauntingly beautiful vocals, this indie rock group from Baltimore makes the perfect car companion, and their third studio album is a must-have.

Combining the synths and beats of ’80s techno with modern beach-band vocals and guitar, Lower Dens creates an experience unlike any other. Formed in 2010, the band has grown significantly in the last few years. Lead singer Jana Hunter began her career as a solo folk artist and has been shaping her sound ever since, leading to the now psychadelic beach-pop that makes up this album.

“When we started writing, I had a lot going on personally; the band had a lot going on, and it seemed not just appropriate but really necessary for it to be a personal record. It needed to serve that purpose,” Hunter said in an interview with website PopMatters.

This anxiousness is clear in the songwriting, especially in the track, “Your Heart Still Beating.” Opening with a slow drum build-up, the song unfolds into a heart-melting melody about love and loss.

“All of my fears, coming to life,” croons Hunter as she weaves through atmospheric synths and effect-heavy guitar riffs. It is repeated over and over again, driving the point home, and makes for an incredible chorus. Much of the album operates on this level, with simple, bare lyrics and heavy atmospheres that work together to create a mood more than a song.

“I Am The Earth” finds Hunter achieving difficult-to-reach notes, and it is a poignant moment on the album. She moans tirelessly without words through the last half of the song, using her vocals as an instrument to elevate the song’s mood. There are few voices in the world that will move you like Hunter’s, and on “I Am The Earth,” she pulls out all the stops to exemplify that.

The lead single off Escape from Evil, “To Die in L.A.,” begins with a ’90s punk beat and quickly transitions to an ’80s keyboard riff with ’60s beach guitar, combining the elements of several generations of music into one exciting, yet sad melting pot. It is a reflection of the artists, who are still in the midst of finding their sound. The chorus, short and sweet, is the perfect motto for Lower Dens.

“Time will turn the tide,” sings Hunter, hopeful and strong. The video accompanying this track is strange, telling the story of an L.A. girl who dreams of being famous. This, too, reflects the sentiments of a band on the rise, trying to make it in L.A., and Hunter is featured prominently in the video, head shaved and cross-dressed, as the male lead.

Pitchfork listed Escape from Evil as on their list of Best New Music, giving it an 8.3/10. While this does not correlate to higher record sales, Lower Dens’s star is rising. Several members have left or been replaced, probably another reason for a changing sound, but if they can stay together long enough, this group of artists will find success in the music industry. Even with the changing members, this a group that is willing to put in the effort. Their last album, Nootropics, was written while still on tour for their first album, signaling that Lower Dens shows no sign of slowing down. Still, Hunter said that touring did wear on the young band, and that this most recent work is a reflection of that.

“I think this record is a bit of a reaction to touring that record,” said Hunter. “Being in that space for a long time, being in an emotionally distant, forced intellectual space. Getting back to writing songs about intimate things felt a lot better.”

Lower Dens is a band that still has a long way to go. They’ve put out three wholly different albums now, ranging from heavy atmospheres to truly experimental pieces, but on Escape from Evil, they have found a sound. Whether or not this band is done growing, their music is certainly strong enough to enter mainstream culture, and Escape from Evil is an excellent source of deep, inspiring music. If you’re looking to cruise around Los Angeles on a somber night, or just want some solid studying music, look no further than this album.

Matt Burke is a sophomore majoring in film production. His column, “Notes on Notes,” runs Wednesdays.