USC trustee honored by Obama

President Barack Obama named USC Board of Trustees member Wanda Austin to the Council of Advisors on Science and Technology on March 24. In their recent press release, the White House named six new nominees for major administrative positions, spanning from Austin’s post to Ambassadors to Cyprus and Benin.

In her new position as councilwoman, Austin will directly advise the president, along with no more than 20 other advisors. The council provides guidance for policies and plans for economic development where extensive knowledge of science and technology is necessary. In order to develop the nation’s science, technology, engineering and math initiatives, Obama seeks the advice of the leaders of the scientific community. In doing so, he plans to make the most informed decisions in terms of allocating budget and boosting the economy.

“I am deeply honored to serve with such an esteemed and talented group of our country’s leading scientists and engineers,” said Austin in a press release from the Aerospace Corporation.

Austin is the president and CEO of The Aerospace Corporation. According to the Aerospace Corporation website, the corporation provides consultation as well as technical support for military, civil and commercial customers. The corporation was lauded in the Los Angeles Times as “one of the nation’s most important assets.”

Prior to receiving the degree, Austin earned her bachelor’s degree from Franklin and Marshall College and her doctorate in systems engineering from the Viterbi School of Engineering at USC. In addition to her position at the Aerospace Corporation and her new appointment at the White House, she is a member of the NASA Advisory Council, which provides independent consulting for NASA in their current operations and plans for future projects. She also hold positions on the Board of Trustees of National Geographic Society and National Space Foundation.